Recently diagnosed with kidney problems

Findhorngirl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
housework, cooking and diets
I was diagnosed diabetic two years ago and take metformin. Recent blood tests were good but my urine test showed a problem with kidneys. I was too dumbfounded to ask any questions. I have to go back in six weeks to see how the losartan has worked. Could anyone give me advice on what questions to ask or where to find more information. I feel a bit numb but feel I should be worried and find out more. Thanks.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Im sorry I cant help you with kidney problems.
But someone will come to help.
I think a bit more information would help.
Blood sugar levels and what you eat.and how you are feeling.
Best wishes to you

Findhorngirl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hbaic was 53% i think. I actually feel fine , just very tired. iodinate know what to eat. I am on a low fat diet as my cholesterol levels are very high despite medication. I also have been trying to eat low carb. I am allergic to eggs so don't eat them. With kidney problems apparently you shouldn't do high protein so am at a bit of loss.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
With kidney problems apparently you shouldn't do high protein so am at a bit of loss.

You could try high fat. There are lots of foods that are high fat with zero / low protein. Some of the latest 'healthy eating' books are based on a 80%fat, 15%protein and 5% carb diet.....eg. Trudi Deakins (NHS X-Pert Health) Eat fat book.

Findhorngirl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks for that. i thought high fat was likely to be high protein, I also have FH (familial hyoercholesteraemia) and am on a low fat diet. I take 80 msg of Atorvastatin and still have high levels of Cholesterol . I will look into that book though.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
There is also a lot about kidney problems / failure in Dr bernsteins Diabetic Solution book. He himself had severe kidney problems some 40 years ago and I believe was given only 5 years to live...... Until he got his blood sugar levels under control with a high fat low carb diet, now 80 (T1 at 12 years) he has no kidney problems. His book is around £5 on kindle and iBooks, and you can read the first few pages free. I have been following his solution for coming up to a year now, and it is working for me (very similar diet to Trudi Deakins eat fat book)

Findhorngirl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks. the Trudi Deakins book seem stop be no longer available but I have just download the Bernstein one to my kindle . So i will give this a go.

viv

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
none
Hbaic was 53% i think. I actually feel fine , just very tired. iodinate know what to eat. I am on a low fat diet as my cholesterol levels are very high despite medication. I also have been trying to eat low carb. I am allergic to eggs so don't eat them. With kidney problems apparently you shouldn't do high protein so am at a bit of loss.
Try benacol drink every morning, it dropped mine by 2 points. Drink plenty of water throughout the day. Low protein, plenty of veg and pulses, when you have protein have very thin slices of meat.