Help! Potential LADA, struggling to get a clear diagnosis…

james_1d

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The C-Peptid test is not going to give a conclusive answer, it's only an indicator. The Antibody test is the one you need to get the correct diagnosis. I did not realise until reading your OP that this test is expensive? Perhaps answers why they took so so long to eventualy do mine...results of which I got 2 days ago and am in fact Type 1 LADA.

If you let them, they will introduce more drugs, and drag it out over time. I'm not sure if this is the best method. I had to push hard last visit to my Doctor...he wanted to prescribe a 4th drug...that makes you pass more sugar in urine. But I was firm with him and refused to try it. Having been on max doses of Metformin, Gliclazide and the recent Sitagliptin....all of which failed to get my BS anywhere near normal....I felt the intro of a 4th drug was just going to push out the correct diagnosis even more.

And when I got the call from the Hospital to confirm what I strongly suspected, I was not surprised to hear I had developed Type 1....and probably had it for years.

So if they won't help you here, keep a strict diary, times, intake, BS before and 2 hours after food....and see how this goes.

Reactions: 2 people

court10

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This thread is helpful. Trying to find out if I have LADA. I have high spikes with carbs, crashes after, feel awful a lot. Must remain low carb. I don't think this is not just reactive hypoglycemia. I tested positive for 2 out of 3 genes, waiting on 2 more tests.

Just got my C-peptide back today. It's .44. Low. Was .9 several years ago. Any thoughts on a low c-peptide of .44?

My cousin is in her 30's also, just got diagnosed with Type 1. Hers is autoimmune. Just trying to get some answers.

You all are very insightful! Trying to learn.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The C-Peptid test is not going to give a conclusive answer, it's only an indicator. The Antibody test is the one you need to get the correct diagnosis. I did not realise until reading your OP that this test is expensive? Perhaps answers why they took so so long to eventualy do mine...results of which I got 2 days ago and am in fact Type 1 LADA.

If you let them, they will introduce more drugs, and drag it out over time. I'm not sure if this is the best method. I had to push hard last visit to my Doctor...he wanted to prescribe a 4th drug...that makes you pass more sugar in urine. But I was firm with him and refused to try it. Having been on max doses of Metformin, Gliclazide and the recent Sitagliptin....all of which failed to get my BS anywhere near normal....I felt the intro of a 4th drug was just going to push out the correct diagnosis even more.
I checked out the cost advertised at a private clinic. £109.15 (that includes referral, phlebotomy,lab fees and GP comments) It should cheaper done in an NHS lab.
Compare that £109 with the cost of wrongly prescribed diabetes drugs (eg Invokana . Annual cost is £477.26 for the 100mg daily dosage and £608.83 for the 300mg daily dosage)
Most of all there is the monetary and human cost of medication that doesn't work..

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I checked out the cost advertised at a private clinic. £109.15 (that includes referral, phlebotomy,lab fees and GP comments) It should cheaper done in an NHS lab.
Compare that £109 with the cost of wrongly prescribed diabetes drugs (eg Invokana . Annual cost is £477.26 for the 100mg daily dosage and £608.83 for the 300mg daily dosage)
Most of all there is the monetary and human cost of medication that doesn't work..
That's a great argument for people to use with their doctors :cool:

It's amazing the false economies that are used in the name of "costs savings" - completely crazy :facepalm: