Sucre Bleu!

Sucre Bleu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone
My name is Noelene, and I am from Australia, mid 50s, and have been a Type 1 for over 45years.
My Dad was Type1 for over 70yrs and recently passed away following some rough years w/Alzheimers
My brother has MODY.
I figure over the years I have seen pretty much everything, Urine in test tubes and a tablet added to check sugars.
Dipsticks of course, The first blood testing machines, imagine, if you will, your first mobile phone, the size of a house brick, a little squeezy bottle to flush the blood off the test strip plugging it into the machine and waiting literally minutes and minutes to give you a result
Insulin regimes came and went- there was a phase of cramming your daily dose into 1 injection, then multidoses for better control, and the list goes on.
The delivery of the insulin was in lovely metal syringes and needles, boiling them up to sterilize, plastic needles, syringes, use a swab, don't use a swab,pens and pumps.

I have my handy list of complications , feel free to ask me whatever you would like to know
Legally blind and Blonde Recurrent foot Ulcer Neuropathy, Nephropathy Fatty Liver Gastroparesis Emphysemateous Bladder- it is super rare so of course I have it, you name it I have had it and probably forgotten some. But to top it off I was diagnosed with Non Hodgkins Lymphoma in March ( seems there is a correlation between that and Lantus, depends who you believe.)

I had a serious case of burnout, and spent some time ignoring my Diabetes. Never through my child bearing years tho, in fact I had 4 great kids and 1 miscarriage they ranged between 5lb 11oz and 7lb 3 oz, all via Cx Section.

I have spent a long time just reading here, and am gobsmacked by the miserly shenanigans of your NHS.
I hope I can offer something to the Group. I started out as a Nursing Sister, then felt like a career change and became a psychologist.

However in the greatest fail of the century, psychologist heal thyself, I remain as resentful of diabetes as I was at diagnosis, but do take care of myself nowadays

Reactions: 6 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Welcome, Noelene, from across the Tasman Sea. What a fascinating first post!

I remember my grandmother using metal syringes and dipstick tests in the 1970s. She lived until the age of 80 in pretty good health, considering her 30-odd years of T1 (or something like it).

I love your positive attitude and I look forward to hearing more from you. :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome to the forum @Sucre Bleu and thanks for sharing your journey with type 1 diabetes and your health issues, it can't be easy but you seem to have a positive attitude which will help immensely .

As for your observation about the NHS, in fairness its far from perfect but none of us would be without it, it's an institution that is envied throughout the world and for good reasons too.

Sucre Bleu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all for the welcomes. I surely didn't mean to criticize your NHS too harshly, coming from where I do, where we have a National Scheme of diabetic supplies, where test strips fall from the skies in abundance, needles are always free, and once you have spent a certain amount towards your prescriptions in a 12month period, they are free for the rest of the year, that includes your dependents. I would not be able to afford full price for everything I need. So it makes me feel sad when I read people saying they can only do a certain amount of tests per day, or once diagnosed are basically left to their own devices.

From my own personal experience, when I was struggling with burnout, and my new Lymphoma diagnosis, I saw the Head of the Unit and he said to me, they rarely do it anymore , but I was to come into hospital for 7-10 days and let him worry about sorting stuff out. And he did, and Ii feel better for it.

Reactions: 2 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome to the forum, I'm sure your knowledge will be invaluable. Isn't it amazing how diabetes management has evolved over the decades. Look forward to hearing from you in future posts. :)