Savlon Liquid Antiseptic discontinued

Evet S

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
My wife has Type 1 Diabetes - two insulin injections a day - and has always used Savlon Liquid Antiseptic to sterilise her injection sites. Now we can't find it in any local stores or on-line. Has it been discontinued?
My wife has used this for many, many years - apparently there is no "disinfectant smell" - and is very upset at its disappearance.
What methods do other people with Type 1 to sterilise their injection sites?
Many thanks.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Sometimes a dab of surgical spirit. Dunno about the Savlon though, thought I saw it not that long ago.

Reactions: 2 people

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have never cleaned skin before insulin injections.
Me neither.
I was told there was no need and certainly not to use the industrial meths we used to be prescribed to keep the old glass syringe in. The meths would harden the skin.

Reactions: 4 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi,
My wife has Type 1 Diabetes - two insulin injections a day - and has always used Savlon Liquid Antiseptic to sterilise her injection sites. Now we can't find it in any local stores or on-line. Has it been discontinued?
My wife has used this for many, many years - apparently there is no "disinfectant smell" - and is very upset at its disappearance.
What methods do other people with Type 1 to sterilise their injection sites?
Many thanks.

I am type 1 and inject about 4/5 times a day and have never used any antiseptic solutions ever - too much faff and don't have the time.

I have met nurses with type 1 and they haven't done this so not sure why your wife needs to ?

Just change the needle and that's all that needs to be done ;)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've been injecting for 27 years and have never sterilised the injection site, and I've spent plenty of that time reusing needles as well. No infections that I remember...

Paul_2N

Type of diabetes
Carer
Hello Evet S. We do not have diabetes but I am a carer for my elderly parent and I have a similar problem with finding suitable antiseptic disinfectant. Up to now, I used Wilko own brand which was very good but it's just been discontinued. (Aaahh) I've tried Dettol which is awful, its stinks to high heaven. It smells of old gents public toilets. Vile!
I then remembered that Savlon produced an antiseptic liquid, but if that has been discontinued then that's another option gone!
Do let me know if you find an alternative. Thanks and kind regards.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Just looked on bing and loads of people stock savlon including supermarkets and Amazon.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I've never sterilised injection sites in 53 years and like Tim,I have got to admit to using needles several times and never had a infected site.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Have to own up to never using any wipes or disinfectant for injection sites either.

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Evet S. We do not have diabetes but I am a carer for my elderly parent and I have a similar problem with finding suitable antiseptic disinfectant. Up to now, I used Wilko own brand which was very good but it's just been discontinued. (Aaahh) I've tried Dettol which is awful, its stinks to high heaven. It smells of old gents public toilets. Vile!
I then remembered that Savlon produced an antiseptic liquid, but if that has been discontinued then that's another option gone!
Do let me know if you find an alternative. Thanks and kind regards.
I know its an old thread but there is tcp! I was looking for the solution and couldnt find it anywhere for sale... i bought that but havent used it yet because i was lucky enough to find a spare bottle of the savlon (i knew i had it i always stock loads as have sons!) Just cant understand why they discontinued it i love the stuff...