Do I have pre-diabetes with some PP blood sugars over 170?

jowi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello!

Sorry, I will try to convert from now on 170=9.4

Last year at my physical I got a FBG in the 'prediabetes range' (5.7) ... I know that is just over the line, but I know from testing my own blood at home that I am in that range most mornings (up to 6).

The other troubling issue is this. When I eat certain foods, and I'm not even talking stuffing myself with REALLY bad stuff like I've been known to do in the past, but something REASONABLE, I will easily go over 9.4-10 or so. I haven't caught anything higher, and I really don't want to do that 'test' for my doctor because I fear what these high levels do and have already done to my body.

So... I know you will say 'watch the carbs' and I AM doing that :) I've also lost 20 pounds and am down to a BMI of 19. I exercise daily and am trying to add in more weight bearing exercise (now I do mostly walking and jogging - I do over 21K steps on my fitbit daily). I feel like I am developing a slight 'fear of food' when it comes to carbs. I feel like if I go to a birthday party, I need to say NO to the cake, because I just think, "I wonder how high that will spike my blood sugar??"

My mom is diabetic (lost an eye, has heart disease) and her brother was, as well (died at 59, lost a leg). My grandmother was also diabetic and died young.

My doctor will test me and see I've 'controlled' my FBG (I"m guessing I'll test in the 5.2-5.5 range now at my upcoming physical) but she'll only have to take my word at how high my PP levels go - into DANGER zones! I want to ask her to prescribe me Acarbose so when I want some popcorn or something, I CAN - safely! I'm thinking she will say NO. But I feel that is wrong, because why should I be free to get these spikes and truly keep progressing to diabetes?

So what say you all? 9.4-10 isn't normal, right? EVER? Even if you eat popcorn? If I eat a nice, normal meal (which I obviously do for most of my meals), I stay around 6.6 after meals, which I'm happy with. But come ON, I want to live a little, too!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Well done on the weight loss and for finding this forum, where you will find all the help and tips you need.

Non-one here can diagnose you. All I can suggest is you ask your doctor for an HbA1c test, which may confirm matters one way or another. The FBG tests are notoriously unreliable for many reasons and only show a snapshot of your level at the moment the test was taken. The HbA1c will give you a sort of average of the previous 2 to 3 months, weighted towards the end of that period.

Spiking after carbs is normal, for everyone, although by how much is a matter of debate. The difference between diabetics and non-diabetics is that non-diabetics return to normal quickly, and certainly after 3 hours if not two. (depending on what was eaten). You don't say how long after your first bite you tested yourself.

jowi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The popcorn spike (I was shocked because I thought I handled popcorn just fine, but I was testing too early) actually happens at about the 2-hour mark. It spikes up only for a short time and then it went down pretty fast (I'd say I was only up in that range maybe 15 minutes? I have read that damage to organs or blood vessels can start at about 7.8, so I want to always stay under that to avoid progression. I do plan to ask for a HbA1C at my physical in October but, as you know, doctors don't take this stuff seriously until it's progressed, and that's the point - I want to avoid progression. I think the fact that my fasting blood sugars aren't optimal and that I will easily go so high after a reasonable meal means I'm on the road to diabetes (esp given family history). My HbA1C I'm guessing will be fairly good, showing no 'signs' of these spikes, because right now I'm afraid to even eat carbs and am keeping my blood sugar constantly in the lower range, but I guess my point is, the fact that I HAVE to live this way means I am pre-diabetic. If I were eating the way I used to eat, I'm sure my HbA1C would be much worse. So it is debatable at what level blood sugar can damage you?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not sure to be honest what levels cause damage. Some say double figures, others say above 7.8, some even say high 6's,
Do you test before you eat? If so, what range do you see? Do you test at bedtime and what range do you see?

I can see why you are concerned with your family history, and that stopping progression is the way to go, but asking for medication to prevent these spikes, which is what Acarbose is intended to do, seems to be over the top to me. I haven't heard of anyone on this forum using Acarbose. In fact I hadn't heard of it so had to look it up. Diet is the key, and low carb the way to go. No harm in a few odd treats every now and again though.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think you are over analysing and over-worrying. Eat the way you want to eat and after 3 months talk to your doctor and get an HbA1c and take it from there. All people get a rise after eating carbs and the more you are not used to them the higher you go. The fact you were returned to normal in a few minutes means it is all working normally. If you wish to not spike high them by all means reduce your "grain" intake (seem to be the biggest culprit - for me at least) and increase your fat to compensate for the calorie loss.

Whatever you do stop worrying about food. You have a BMI of 19 which means you are close to being underweight. You need to find a life style that will allow you to sustain, stop worrying and enjoy life.

You obviously have the D genes in your family (that is such bad luck) but that means you know what to watch out for. You could take the life style changes now and control your carbs for life (think I would) or just wait. I think I know what you are going to do. Whichever route you take you MUST enjoy life (you can take that as an order ;) ).

Good luck

jowi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bluetit, I test before I eat and before bed and I'm always in the high 90's or 100's or 110's (so from 5.3-6.1 range) - never in the 'optimal' range that health sites say you should strive to be in (around 4.5).

Thanks for all the advice. I realize wanting a drug seems crazy ;) I don't actually want to take it full time but have some just so when I want to go to a movie I can have popcorn, which is something I really enjoy. I'm simply not willing to indulge if I know I'm going to be spiking that high. I guess I will have to give it up or eat just 1 cup or something (almost easier to not have any if I can only have a handful). My husband says, "Welcome to my world" (again, he's diabetic) and I just feel it's so unfair! I know you can all relate to that feeling. I'm doing all the 'right' things (well, like I said, I could do with more weight lifting for sure) and what I'm afraid of is my doctors are going to IGNORE all my 'prediabetic' levels because normally with those levels the first line is 'diet and exercise' but if I'm already doing all that, I can't lower it any more with that.

Anyway, yes, I realize I sound like I'm 'worrying' :eek:P but I'm just speaking frankly and I'm really not stressed about it like I sound. I do, however, believe that having knowledge is good, and if I have discovered these high spikes, I am going to try to avoid them from now on.

Thanks again, I really do appreciate anyone taking time to respond :)

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
You may find that asking for a glucose tolerance test gives better info than an HbA1c does in your situation. Just a thought.

It sounds to me like you would find the info at Blood Sugar 101 interesting (link in my signature).

Jenny Ruhl, the website author, also has detailed info on the side effects and risks of drugs. Acarbose doesn't sound like a drug I would like to take at all:
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/25311639.php

jowi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that info. I've read her site in the past. I've found it depressing because I don't want to give up carbs (boo hoo) but I guess that's where I'll be headed - at least moderate to lowish carb. Will read about the drug. Thanks again!

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Thanks for that info. I've read her site in the past. I've found it depressing because I don't want to give up carbs (boo hoo) but I guess that's where I'll be headed - at least moderate to lowish carb. Will read about the drug. Thanks again!
You and me both, lol. I adore some of my carby favourites, but I have been wrangling with T2 diabetes for 4 years and I am sick of the damage they do to my body and mind. I have also spent 4 decades eating whatever **** I wanted; eating healthy from now on is not too much of an ask, really. Missing carbs is kind of a 1st world problem. Some of the people on this forum have terrible, life altering and life threatening medical conditions. It makes me feel so grateful that all I have to do is reduce my carbs.