Rural areas and type one

Wolfhelm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Im a type one and have been so for a few years my sugars are getting in more control, (170 average down from 250 a year or two). I would like to live in a rural area (i always have, by rural think towns of 2-300, 45-60 minutes to a hospital unless one is in town), but i have some concerns so was wondering how other rural diabetics manage (any rural area works). If i was not diabetic i would say alaska here i come. Even if i was a well managed type two i would consider it.

Some concerns are
-affording medication (rural areas have iffy job markets)
-rides to hospital(i only go due to ketones when i get sick if i cant stop vomiting, so 2-3 times a year)

I already live kinda rural, but there is a hospital next town over, so its not a allagash-fort kent ride.

More to be added as they come to mind.

I would not be relocating for a couple years, so by then i hope my average would be 80-120.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
You might be able to find a rural area near a city - best of both worlds?

If you would like any suggestions from the T1s for getting your blood sugars down and reducing your hospitalisations, I'm sure they would be happy to help. I'm not T1 so can't advise about ketones but are you able to test your blood for ketones at home? I think the T1s would start by asking you what sort of insulin regime you are on, ie which insulins basal/bolus, MDI, carb-counting etc? I could be wrong but if you are being hospitalised 2-3 times a year then maybe something needs to be adjusted.

Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Yes talk to us @Wolfhelm , what's driving you dka so often?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Im a type one and have been so for a few years my sugars are getting in more control, (170 average down from 250 a year or two). I would like to live in a rural area (i always have, by rural think towns of 2-300, 45-60 minutes to a hospital unless one is in town), but i have some concerns so was wondering how other rural diabetics manage (any rural area works). If i was not diabetic i would say alaska here i come. Even if i was a well managed type two i would consider it.

Some concerns are
-rides to hospital(i only go due to ketones when i get sick if i cant stop vomiting, so 2-3 times a year)

I already live kinda rural, but there is a hospital next town over, so its not a allagash-fort kent ride.

I would not be relocating for a couple years, so by then i hope my average would be 80-120.
I live a 90 mile round trip from a hospital (pity it isn't further) It has never bothered me. GP is about 7 miles away. Mind you I have never had DKA or been hospitalised for low blood sugars. Only one emergency admittance for an Addison's crisis many years ago.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Some concerns are

Sounds like you are in USA? It's difficult for members of a UK based forum to help.

Wolfhelm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
not dka, just ketones over .6 (only once went over 1.0 due to a pump failure at night).

Im sick so i vomit, ketones rise from vomit, ketones make me nauseated so i vomit, vicious cycle.

Also ive only been overnight once at a hospital for diabeties, when i was diagnosed, other than that its just been head in, get an iv, get out once ketones stablize (normally 2-4 hours).

Wolfhelm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
And yes im in the us, granted there has to be other american members here.

What alerted you to that?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
And yes im in the us, granted there has to be other american members here.

What alerted you to that?
I'm not in the UK either, and there are people here from all over the world. I think we can all help each other with 99% of the issues we have. It's not hard to learn about health care in another country and be able to empathise.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not dka, just ketones over .6 (only once went over 1.0 due to a pump failure at night).

Im sick so i vomit, ketones rise from vomit, ketones make me nauseated so i vomit, vicious cycle.

Also ive only been overnight once at a hospital for diabeties, when i was diagnosed, other than that its just been head in, get an iv, get out once ketones stablize (normally 2-4 hours).
What is causing the sickness and vomiting? Do you need a doctor to investigate your stomach issues, if any?

Ondansetron is an excellent anti-nausea drug... unless it's a form of poisoning where you need to get a substance out of your body, maybe taking a drug like this could prevent the cycle that leads you to needing hospital care.

Also, I wonder if a rural medical centre could provide the same sort of care?

Wolfhelm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Im assuming rural can offer an iv, its kinda basic i would assume, and its all i ever needed, it hydrates the blood directly, nothing to go in the stomach to upchuck later.

Sickness is just anything, catch a cold, ect.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Im assuming rural can offer an iv, its kinda basic i would assume, and its all i ever needed, it hydrates the blood directly, nothing to go in the stomach to upchuck later.

Sickness is just anything, catch a cold, ect.
Vomiting is not usually a symptom of a cold. I suggest having anti-nausea meds on hand and taking them if you starting feeling nauseous.

The annual flu vaccination is also a good idea for all diabetics.

Wolfhelm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do have snti naysea, but a limited supply, they work at times, other times they dont, i do have the flu shot, but there are many ilnesses which can make one sick, for instance you eat bad food, get carsick, ect.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I do have snti naysea, but a limited supply, they work at times, other times they dont, i do have the flu shot, but there are many ilnesses which can make one sick, for instance you eat bad food, get carsick, ect.
I have tried about 5 different meds and found ondansetron to be excellent. I haven't had food poisoning for about 20 years because I am careful with food at home and when eating out. Travel sickness can be prevented with anti nausea meds, or by keeping the car cool and looking forward towards the horizon at all times.

Ongoing nausea and vomiting does need to be looked into by a doctor. Gastroparesis is fairly common in diabetics, especially T1s, and it can lead to vomiting. Domperidone can help by regulating stomach emptying.