Blood glucose too low ?

photognut

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Adam63 and @Winnie53 might be Interested in you Dr's quotes re: low levels damaging Heart?? I've had a rummage around for the facts to back this up.

The associated study links and facts can be found here http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/15945839.php
  • If your A1c is between 4.8% and 5.4% your risk is beginning to rise.

Cut down on how much starch and sugar you eat. Just eliminating junk carbs will probably normalize your blood sugar. Think twice before you eat bread, potatoes, baked goods, pasta and sugary drinks of all kinds. You are probably eating a hundred grams of junk carbohydrate a day. Cut them out and you should see dramatic improvements in your blood sugar--and cardiovascular--health.

• If your A1c is between 5.4% and 6.0% your cardiac risk is becoming significant.

Though your doctor might tell you these are normal readings, the evidence you read above suggests they arent. So take this as a wake-up call.

With an A1c over 5.4% it is likely that your post-meal blood sugars are in the so-called prediabetic range that is associated with increased heart attack risk.

Reactions: 2 people

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@photognut that's a great link. Will read it tonight after I'm back home.

@Adam63 I also would like to see this doctor provide the study he/she gleaned this information - (sounds like pharmaceutical company rhetoric to me, but perhaps not...we don't know without additional information).

I personally do not think it's a good idea to increase insulin levels. I wonder if your initial increase in blood glucose was due to an infection unknown to you. If that's the case, and the infection is no longer present, the diabetes medication may not be needed now. :)

Reactions: 4 people

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven't been able to have my A1c checked for over a year as I've been housebound with something else and am waiting for a colostomy op. But after losing 5 stones (70lbs) through controlling sugar and carbs I am diet controlled and my BS is usually in the 4s or 5s and 6s and 7s 2 hours after eating. I was on metformin but they upset my stomach so much I had to leave them off. I keep my BS in the non diabetic range.
I didn't realise our BS could be too low with type 2, so must read up on that but for me I don't consider in the 4s and 5s too low before eating.? Once or twice it was in the 3s and felt dizzy until I ate something. Maybe I'm wrong, I'm not sure now.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I haven't been able to have my A1c checked for over a year as I've been housebound with something else and am waiting for a colostomy op. But after losing 5 stones (70lbs) through controlling sugar and carbs I am diet controlled and my BS is usually in the 4s or 5s and 6s and 7s 2 hours after eating. I was on metformin but they upset my stomach so much I had to leave them off. I keep my BS in the non diabetic range.
I didn't realise our BS could be too low with type 2, so must read up on that but for me I don't consider in the 4s and 5s too low before eating.? Once or twice it was in the 3s and felt dizzy until I ate something. Maybe I'm wrong, I'm not sure now.
It should be possible for a nurse to do a home visit to collect blood for tests. Even when we can check and have our BGs in the normal range, we still need at least an annual diabetes check by a nurse or doctor, including checking our feet, weight, blood pressure, and getting blood tests, and we need an eye exam every 2 years (I think?). Is there a local health service that could do this for you at home?

Bangkoktim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi can anyone help I started taking Glyclazide on Friday went out today and has a pint of cider after30 mins felt awful sweating badly having never had a hypo before... Still feel awful what an idiot

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Glicizide is known to take your blood glucose levels too low.

If your fasting levels are close to normal levels, then have a word with your GP about reducing the glicizide.

No excuse for the cider tho!