Type 2 Neuropathy pain control

djphoto

Hi, Does anybody have any ideas for controlling my neuropathy pains. I am unable to take any normal painkillers due to being on them too long and getting an overuse headache, and I can't use a TENS machine due to my heart condition. It's driving me nuts, but can't think what to do and my GP is no help at all!

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have nerve damage in one leg caused by an accident not my T2. I've tried all the painkillers and am now on Carbamazepine as they have the fewest side effects and use Lidocaine patches as well. The patches are the best thing I've used, a topical anesthetic which numbs my leg quite well and can be worn for 12 hours a day. Might be worth asking your doctor about them?

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi, Does anybody have any ideas for controlling my neuropathy pains. I am unable to take any normal painkillers due to being on them too long and getting an overuse headache, and I can't use a TENS machine due to my heart condition. It's driving me nuts, but can't think what to do and my GP is no help at all!
Hi djphoto,the answer really is simple: eat a lchf diet for life , regulate the amount you eat ,and your neuropathy will abate , i am living proof that this works .my bs was 26.8 and i was 17st 8 lbs by following lchf regime and losing 60 lbs my bs's are now regularly 3.5 mmols...no more painful feet .it's not easy but what are the alternatives........

hatari

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi djphoto, I have neuropathy in my feet. For treatment I take Neurontin(300mgGabapentin). I take about 4 of these daily. They help a little but I am still trying to find out what other treatments are available. I have researched a device called a Rebuilder. This cost around 1000usd to buy however what the supplier says it does is simulate the same frequency sent from brain to the damaged nerves and regenerates them.u can research Rebuilder on the internet. I should add that I have reversed my type 2 ,diabetes by exercise,balanced food programmes(not diet) .KR bill

djphoto

I have nerve damage in one leg caused by an accident not my T2. I've tried all the painkillers and am now on Carbamazepine as they have the fewest side effects and use Lidocaine patches as well. The patches are the best thing I've used, a topical anesthetic which numbs my leg quite well and can be worn for 12 hours a day. Might be worth asking your doctor about them?
Hi, Thanks for this. I'll ask about Carbamazepine, but the Lidocaine is out as I have a third degree heart block which is a definite no-no for it. Thanks for getting back to me! Hope all goes well for you.

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you specifically discussed lidocaine patches with your cardiologist? Because they are a topical gel very little of the drug gets into your bloodstream so you may still be able to use them.

djphoto

Hi djphoto, I have neuropathy in my feet. For treatment I take Neurontin(300mgGabapentin). I take about 4 of these daily. They help a little but I am still trying to find out what other treatments are available. I have researched a device called a Rebuilder. This cost around 1000usd to buy however what the supplier says it does is simulate the same frequency sent from brain to the damaged nerves and regenerates them.u can research Rebuilder on the internet. I should add that I have reversed my type 2 ,diabetes by exercise,balanced food programmes(not diet) .KR bill
Hi, I'll look at the Rebuilder. Gabapentin did not work for me, but my problem is in my arm and made worse by a trapped ulnar nerve. Thanks for your help!

djphoto

Have you specifically discussed lidocaine patches with your cardiologist? Because they are a topical gel very little of the drug gets into your bloodstream so you may still be able to use them.
I haven't, but being borderline for needing a pacemaker I suspect I know the answer, but I'll ask.

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can completely understand your concerns but they've been an absolute godsend to me, hope you find something that works for you - it's horrible isn't it?

M

mrspuddleduck

I have spinal damage and left sided neuro damage. The only thing that has worked well for me in terms of pain relief is Butrans patches (temgesic patches). I have a similar situation to you too with years and years of having to take narcotic type pain relief which has taken its toll. But have settled well on the Butrans, no headache, no fuzzy head, tremor or sickness. Also no problem driving with them! Sue xx

Reactions: 2 people

ianrcox

I have found that arnica gel can afford short term relief and shouldn't interfere with other conditions .For severe pain I use Tramadol ( 50mg) - 2 tablets only per day ( you can use up to 8 on medical advice) as this drug can be habit forming - check with your GP first.
I am T2 for some 15+ years , 65 yr old male , desperately trying to lose weight ( which is difficult on insulin).Currently on Novomix30/liraglutide and metformin. Currently 120kg - dropped 10kg over a year but weight now stuck.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another thing to ask about might b capsaicin cream or patches. It comes from chilli peppers -you can find out more on the NHS website.

P.S.: LCHF is the abbreviation for low carbohydrate high fat diet

hatari

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ianrcox,in I was diagnosed with T2 in 2005 in South Africa(I was 62). I was given glucophage and took it for years. Although a regular gym goer I could lose much weight due of course to glucophage.in Sept 2013 I started to gradually come off medication ,went on healthy eating programme(not a diet). In 5 months I lost 14kg. I went for Glucose Tolerance test and T2 gone. I now back in UK. T2 still done. I am now 72 years old and very active in gym. I should add that I still enjoy my gin and tonic!Don't give up!

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
Hi djphoto,the answer really is simple: eat a lchf diet for life , regulate the amount you eat ,and your neuropathy will abate , i am living proof that this works .my bs was 26.8 and i was 17st 8 lbs by following lchf regime and losing 60 lbs my bs's are now regularly 3.5 mmols...no more painful feet .it's not easy but what are the alternatives........

Sorry, it isn't really simple. If djphoto's neuopathy is set, like mine and many others, no matter what you eat, or don't eat will not diminish the pain. I have a pace maker and other heart problems as well. I have just been put on morphine patches. It is a last choice, we have tried everything we can.

Reactions: 4 people

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Clive how long did it take? My HbA1c is now 33 so I suppose I will need to get it even lower as I never have readings as low as 3.5. I've had a lot of improvement in my foot but I would like it back to normal.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi Clive how long did it take? My HbA1c is now 33 so I suppose I will need to get it even lower as I never have readings as low as 3.5. I've had a lot of improvement in my foot but I would like it back to normal.
Hi hitsme,mprob' about three months of lchf,but i have to say i'm exercising morning and night ,10 miles on the exercise bike and half an hour of sit ups and weights,as its been noted, muscle burns carbs and excess glucose more efficiently, after i lost 60 lbs then i really felt much better,foot pain totally gone,oh and the other thing.......portion control,and regular meals with no snacks inbetween let me know how your getting on.

hatari

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Clivethevdrive, although Iost 14kg and no longer take medication still have neuropathy in my feet. Although it does not stop me going to gym I would give anything to be rid of it!

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi hitsme,mprob' about three months of lchf,but i have to say i'm exercising morning and night ,10 miles on the exercise bike and half an hour of sit ups and weights,as its been noted, muscle burns carbs and excess glucose more efficiently, after i lost 60 lbs then i really felt much better,foot pain totally gone,oh and the other thing.......portion control,and regular meals with no snacks inbetween let me know how your getting on.
Thanks Clive,
I'm only walking for exercise but have increased to a few miles a day. I've lost all the weight I need to lose and even my GP is concerned that I don't lose any more. BMI about 20 and still falling so portion size I've had to increase recently but watching it very carefully. I don't want to put on any weight as I'm sure that has helped me get my bloods under control. I don't have snacks just 3 meals a day and up until now I have weighed everything and recorded. I'm just starting to relax a bit but that doesn't mean I'm going to eat madly. I only test meals that are different or larger portions and so far no problems with blood sugar levels. I've seen so much improvement in my foot so I may need to be patient. I can live with it as it is now just hopeful that I could get to totallyy normal. Many thanks.