Daily Mirror does it again!!!

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Of course it would, but the two don't go hand in hand. I've seen it all .... people as thin as a paper clip as T2s and others overweight who couldn't catch a cold let alone diabetes.

It's a factor, but so are heaps of other issues. Genetics for one, exercise another, bad diet .....

I have no difficulty accepting removal of two factors, improving exercise, improving a bad diet, and seeing if diabetes still increases or not.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
You're asking for an answer unknown to all. It might, it might not. I lean toward the latter ... a LOT.

I've seen the failures (few) and I've seen the successes (plenty of 'em) and our strengths should always outweigh or equal the outcome. There is endless effort and honesty in talking about the journey and sweet celebration in the result.

What are you fighting? Diabetes, its control, or your capacity to split the two knowing one is going to stay with you for the rest of your life? It's all three.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My whole point about the article is that saying eat wholewheat this and wholegrain that is kind of misleading. No mention of portion sizes or the fact that there are so many hidden carbs and sugars in our food that people just aren't aware of. I am sure that in reasonable amounts that all the foods mentioned are okay but the problem is that everyone is blissfully unaware of just how many carbs they are eating and that contributes to obesity and sometime type 2. Not all fatter people develop it and I appreciate thinner people can get it too ( as in my case) I never ate junk or got obese but that's the luck of the draw. The article just seemed to ''okay'' eating pasta, rice, bread etc without explaining about portion sizes or food values and hidden carbs being more likely to cause issues of possibly obesity and type 2. Incidentally I used to eat whole wheat bread and pasta and brown rice....didn't do me much good is all I'm saying so a general sweeping statement that it can prevent type 2 is very misleading and possibly not correct as I found out

Reactions: 9 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I keep seeing people saying this.

I wish they wouldn't, as I certainly was obese, dangerous BMI, ate junk foods etc.
And yes I developed diabetes, which went into remission when I lost the weight.

So being told obesity doesn't cause diabetes would see me still obese and diabetic.
And losing the weight also helped in a lot of other ways, so I'm more than happy to see some responsible eating encouraged.
So what about the vast majority of obese people with insulin resistance that has perfectly normal blood glucose metabolism? And what about us with perfectly normal weight and no or very little insulin resistance that still develop diabetes?

Reactions: 4 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So what about the vast majority of obese people with insulin resistance that has perfectly normal blood glucose metabolism? And what about us with perfectly normal weight and no or very little insulin resistance that still develop diabetes?

What about them?
'obese people with insulin resistance that has perfectly normal blood glucose metabolism' seems to be a contradiction, as insulin resistance seems to be a part of type 2 diabetes.
And I'm sure if the vast majority of type 2 diabetics were of a perfectly normal weight, it would make sense to address them as the priority.

Until then, possibly concentrating of the majority would yield the best payback in terms of effort spent.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally all I needed was to be told to reduce the level of carbs. Not a lot of effort needed there really- lots of payback though. But instead they still insist that carbs are healthy.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What about them?
'obese people with insulin resistance that has perfectly normal blood glucose metabolism' seems to be a contradiction, as insulin resistance seems to be a part of type 2 diabetes.
And I'm sure if the vast majority of type 2 diabetics were of a perfectly normal weight, it would make sense to address them as the priority.

Until then, possibly concentrating of the majority would yield the best payback in terms of effort spent.

Insulin resistance is very common regardless if you have diabetes or not. The difference between a diabetic and somebody with normal glucose metabolism is that a diabetic is unable to produce the required amount of insulin while the non-diabetic has a pancreas up to the job. So yes, there are a lot of insulin resistant, overweight or obese people around with perfect BG levels. And quite a few normal weight people with diabetes. Regardless many seem to benefit from reducing the amount of carbs they eat.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
We are in the minority on this forum as most diabetics will never have heard of LCHF

And not everyone on this forum by a very long shot is eating a lchf diet most just reduce the carbs in their diet to whatever degree suits them so dont speak for everyone please.

oldman1954 said:
O M G where do they get these so called experts

Not off the internet thats for sure, generally they get these experts from among professionals in the medical and scientific professions, of course we are all able to choose whether to believe medical and scientific experts or diet gurus and lchf bloggers.

The one source that no one should believe however is news paper reporters :)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Insulin resistance is very common regardless if you have diabetes or not. The difference between a diabetic and somebody with normal glucose metabolism is that a diabetic is unable to produce the required amount of insulin while the non-diabetic has a pancreas up to the job. So yes, there are a lot of insulin resistant, overweight or obese people around with perfect BG levels. And quite a few normal weight people with diabetes. Regardless many seem to benefit from reducing the amount of carbs they eat.

Generally if you are insulin resistant you will have high bg levels so by definition you are a T2 diabetic, none diabetics are not insulin resistant and so have normal bg levels and hba1c'.s

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Generally if you are insulin resistant you will have high bg levels so by definition you are a T2 diabetic, none diabetics are not insulin resistant and so have normal bg levels and hba1c'.s
I'm sorry to have to tell you that you are wrong in this case. Obese or not, people without diabetes but with insulin resistance seem to grow about something like up to 40% more beta cells in their pancreases compared to people with normal insulin sensitivity and have thus perfectly normal blood glucose levels as they can produce the amount of insulin required.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm sorry to have to tell you that you are wrong in this case. Obese or not, people without diabetes but with insulin resistance seem to grow about something like up to 40% more beta cells in their pancreases compared to people with normal insulin sensitivity and have thus perfectly normal blood glucose levels as they can produce the amount of insulin required.

@Totto

Really?

So beta cells can not only be replaced, but the pancreas responds to insulin resistance by actively growing even more new ones?
This would be a real breakthough for those with reduced beta cells, as it's always been though that once they die, they don't get replaced.

Please can you supply the links to this new discovery, I would be very, very, interested to read this.

Reactions: 2 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Totto

Really?

So beta cells can not only be replaced, but the pancreas responds to insulin resistance by actively growing even more new ones?
This would be a real breakthough for those with reduced beta cells, as it's always been though that once they die, they don't get replaced.

Please can you supply the links to this new discovery, I would be very, very, interested to read this.

It certainly isn't anything new even if you haven't come across it before. You can google it if you like. Mind you, this is about non-diabetic individuals and as the research process includes taking the pancreas out it's mainly done on rats. I know of a couple of studies done on autopsy results but can't find them atm.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3796265/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16046294

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It certainly isn't anything new even if you haven't come across it before. You can google it if you like. Mind you, this is about non-diabetic individuals and as the research process includes taking the pancreas out it's mainly done on rats. I know of a couple of studies done on autopsy results but can't find them atm.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3796265/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16046294

So, a study on rats then?
Maybe not quite the 'people without diabetes but with insulin resistance seem to grow about something like up to 40% more beta cells' which is a shame, as it would have been groundbreaking.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I don't suppose there's many people who think to leave their body for medical research. That's the problem.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, a study on rats then?
Maybe not quite the 'people without diabetes but with insulin resistance seem to grow about something like up to 40% more beta cells' which is a shame, as it would have been groundbreaking.
Yeah, the studies done on humans are, as I said, from autopsy results. Or would you like to have your pancreas taken out earlier? I'll try to find them for you but you know, you can look things up on the internet yourself if you are interested. At least I presume you can.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @Totto i would never have found this without your comments to inspire me.

http://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs-wm/23952.pdf

It is fascinating - the conclusion particularly so.
The link between pancreatic regeneration and beta cell proliferation in both rodents and humans is thought to be linked to age. Which may be particularly relevant to an ageing T2 population.

I have seen this discussed elsewhere, but no longer have the link.
Edited to add: here it is http://news.vanderbilt.edu/2014/03/diabetes-researchers-track-cells-ability-to-regenerate/

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
34.jpg

Here we go again.....

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In the U.S. it's possible to get Islets of Langerhans transplantation if you're a T1, fit the criteria and can afford it.