13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
When you are in ketoses does your wee smell strange?

52O342UOIF

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Getting a aceton smell from the breath is not uncommon, I'm not sure if the urine smells strange as well.

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes it did when I did a fat fast a few weeks ago. I found it strangely reassuring lol. :rolleyes:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nothing embarrassing about it. :)

Lots of things make your wee smell strange, but I think ketosis is one of them... until you get so used to it that it isn't strange any more! :)

Reactions: 4 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Or you could try holding your breath whilst in the Loo............

photognut

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine actually stopped having a funny aroma when blood sugars normalised - give me a plate of asparagus to eat, and it's Chanel eat ya heart ;)

Reactions: 5 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If ketones didn't come out in wee then the urine ketone test strips wouldn't work.

By the way there is a school of thought that says the "pear drop breath" associated with ketosis is not actually from ketosis but from ammonia from excessive protein that is often part of low carb diets. I have no opinion, I can't smell my own breath and I have an overly polite partner. :)

Reactions: 3 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I never actually sniffed mine !! :D:eek: I don't have much of a sense of small anyway, but for a while when I was first in ketosis, I could certainly taste something for a while.

As your body gets used to using ketones, there should be less surplus ones removed in your wee, so presumably the smell should reduce or go. I actually no longer got readings on my ketostix after a while, they stayed neutral , and I swapped to using a Ketonix - a breathalyser type gadget instead., which is more accurate.

Definitely don't worry about being embarrassed on the forum - there's a lot of bodily functions that can be affected by our diabetes or our medicine, and need to be asked about and discussed.

Robbity

Reactions: 3 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Yup, there's definitely an acrid smell when you are peeing ketones. Not particularly pleasant. Asparagus is much better!