Weight loss diet I can trust

Fifilabonbon!

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds, shopping, intolerance, oneupmanship.
Hi everyone. I haven't posted before, although diagnosed Type 2 for 18 months. So far it's been diet controlled, but now my diabetes nurse wants me to have medication due to rising levels. We tried Metformin but it made me very nauseous, as well as the dreaded runs! So now I'm on Glicazide and am aware of possible hypos with this drug, but so far am managing ok. I am trying to lose about one and a half stone, and my query is this: I don't want hypos, but have become very nervous of carbs and full fat stuff because of weight gain. It's causing me some stress, balancing sudden drops in glucose levels and not eating the wrong thing. Haven't yet found a diet that doesn't state carbs at every meal. Is this usual? My nurse says if there is a good improvement I can try again without meds which I would prefer. Would eating little and often be the right road? What snacks would keep me balanced? Any helpful comments welcome.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My take on balancing both weigh and BG is low carbing. Snacking, as in eating little and often is bad for the teeth and spoils your appetite. I follow the advice from http://www.dietdoctor.com/ and have normalised my BG by eating lots of fat and lost some weight too, not that I had much to lose but it seems to work wonderfully for weight loss too.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The Low Carb High Fat way of eating really works .. If you can cut down your carbs gradually to around 30g a day and up your good fats ... coconut oil .. olive oil .. etc ...you will improve your Blood sugars and not feel hungry .. However .. it is a way of eating and not a quick fix diet..
Hope this helps

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Defintely try a low carb higher fat diet, it will help with both glucose levels and weight loss. Fat doesn't cause an increase in weight on its own, it's carbs that can do this - particularly in a high carb, high fat combination.

Robbity

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
What they said ...

Dave14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This maybe a bit controversial but ....
I was on a self-imposed diet three months before I was diagnosed Type 2 just over a month ago. I am not yet on any medications and my GP is optimistic that my Blood Sugars can be controlled by diet. I have been using the free MyFitnessPal app from the Play Store and so far I have lost over half of the 2 stones that I initially targeted. In the past month my GS has gone from 8.9 to 6.5. I suspect that this is due in part to the diet natural!y eliminating sugary foods. I may need to adopt the LCHF diet in future, but as long as my weight and GS levels continue to reduce, I shall continue to use MyFitnessPal. I have no vested interest in this app but recommend that you give it a try if the alternatives fail.
Good luck with your future efforts.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
As above!

It really works!

Nearly 17 stone!

Now 12 stone

Just two years nearly!

And yes you can have a treat now and then!

Reactions: 4 people

chancellors

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I do the LCHF, my weight has gone from 16.7 stone to 12.11 in 10 months and still losing weight, target weight is nosher's amazing 12 stone.

reidpj

Hi

Go to YouTube and type in 'Low Carb Down Under'. Plenty of very informative videos explaining the modern science behind high fat diets.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I went from 22 stone to 12 stone in a year thanks to low carbing. Highly recommended.

Reactions: 6 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was 15 stone, I am now 12st 4 due to Low carbing over 5 1/2 months.

Target is 11st 7.......................