Hypo then given verbal warning, with possible dismissal

lambkin

I am type 2- and after a nasty chest infection my numbers were all over the place.
I had a hypo at work, felt grotty so managed to send urgent message to relative to collect me from work and they took me home. I tried to tell my line manager what the problem was, but I obviously wasn't making much sense.
I was signed off work for 4 weeks by my GP due to infections.
On my return to work, I have been in numerous meetings where the employer wants me to explain how and why this happened. It seems that I am to be given a written warning- with possible dismissal due to "my misconduct"- not clearly telling them what was wrong on the day, not clearly explaining what was wrong with me-and now they say that they don't believe that I wasn't well at all.
Yet I told them when I started the job that I was type 2 diabetic, and that was 2 years ago.
This is the first time that I hadn't been able to counter the hypo in time. It seems that the line manager thought that I was drunk. I don't drink so how can that be the case?
I am sooo fed up with reading and/or hearing about employers not understanding or disbelieving diabetics.
Perhaps we should ensure that all employers are given guide lines when employing diabetics.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am type 2- and after a nasty chest infection my numbers were all over the place.
I had a hypo at work, felt grotty so managed to send urgent message to relative to collect me from work and they took me home. I tried to tell my line manager what the problem was, but I obviously wasn't making much sense.
On my return to work, I have been in numerous meetings where the employer wants me to explain how and why this happened. It seems that I am to be given a written warning- with possible dismissal due to "my misconduct"- not clearly telling them what was wrong on the day, not clearly explaining what was wrong with me-and now they say that they don't believe that I wasn't well at all.
Yet I told them when I started the job that I was type 2 diabetic, and that was 2 years ago.
This is the first time that I hadn't been able to counter the hypo in time. It seems that the line manager thought that I was drunk. I don't drink so how can that be the case?
I am sooo fed up with reading and/or hearing about employers not understanding or disbelieving diabetics.
Perhaps we should ensure that all employers are given guide lines when employing diabetics.

Lambkin, although you way you are T2, you don't mention any medication you take. Could you tell me what meds you are on and roughly how you manage your diet? Clearly, I understand that infections can do unexpected things to bloods.

How often do you have hypos, and how low do you go when you have what you describe as a bad hypo?

Stemar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi Lambkin,

Sorry to read about your problems at work but unfortunately you need to remember that those who don't have our condition, don't even know it's as common as fish and chips. So maybe you could ask your GP to write a short explination of your condition and how it can affect you at any tme, or as you have access to this Forum you could maybe print out some of the information available that relates to your condition and give it to your employer. As it's hard to explain how this condition works, let alone the fact your letting your gard down by having to tell your employer about your medical condition, but if they are the type of people you like working for then it's in your interest to help them, too understand how you can be affected by this condition.
I wish you all the best as it's not easy to put yourself in this position, but if you like your job and the employees you work with, then it's in your best interest to make them understand, that even though you have some control over your condition, it can take control of you at times.Well I hope everything works out for you, so take care and live a positive future, as you can take control of this condition, so bye for now.
Stemar, (Downunder)

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;

Good grief! I'm not sure that your employer is acting within the law, especially as you were hired with medical knowledge in the beginning. I would speak to a lawyer and get a report from your doctor. Your treatment may be off. BTW you say you hit a hypo, and yet you have infections-- that's odd as to my reading it is hyperglycemia that causes infections. Perhaps you had to stabilize? I wish you luck and education to your boss.

madcat73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i had a similar thing happen at work with myself we were having a xmas party at work and with all the running round getting things ready my levels were getting low and a sales person from work noticed i was getting giddy and looked drunk he even said if he found out i was drinking i would be fired. Next day i wrote a letter explaining how i had been treated and got some facts on how a hypo can look to people who don't understand and are completely ignorant least to say that person only worked another 3 months at the place because they gave him 3 months notice.

Phil-Clements

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you are on medication then you will have a degree of protection as being 'disabled' under the Equality Act 2010 and the obligation for the employer to consider 'reasonable adjustments' which allow you to carry on working.

Before going 'legal' however it is important to establish exactly what the employer is threatening disciplinary action for. Did you report sick at the earliest opportunity and to the correct person in line with any company policy? Did you submit fit notes in time and maintain dialogue with your employer?

A 'reasonable' adjustment would be that your employer should have higher threshholds at which disciplinary or capability proceedings might be brought for absence, where the absence is directly related to the disability. It would not for example excuse not reporting sick in line with policy or failing to submit fit notes at the correct intervals.

Depending on the size of the organisation, you should have access to an Occupational Health professional, or the employer may request access to your medical records. They would be most unwise to dismiss you without evidence that any illness was genuine and where this was connected to your Diabetes.

BarbaraMc

Hi Lambkin
I had similar problems with a particular supervisor, although I don't have have hypos as such, I am Type 2 Diabetic, on Metformin only, and also suffer from Sleep Apnoea. My supervisor gave me a number of warnings for nodding off at the desk, despite my meeting the same targets as other staff. In addition, she was rude and intimidating, making it hard for me to respond.
Once the Union became involved, she backtracked but refused to withdraw the warnings, so I raised a Grievance against the written warning, and when she tried to intimidate me, I raised a further grievance, protesting against her offensive attitude, and it's effect on me.
The end result was that I got a new supervisor, who removed all trace from my records, in order to cancel out my grievances. Not a fair result, but it worked for me.
If you have no union, you are still entitled to 'adjustments' in relation to your health issues, can have someone with you for support in interviews, and should not be penalised for any disability.