Lentils

Olaf-Jensen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Been having lentils most days. Did not realize they are full of carbs. What pulses have low carbs?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
the good thing about pulses are their low GI, so in moderation they shouldn't have a significant effect on BG......

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've given up lentils because the only way I like them is in something like a dahl, i.e. a lot all at once. I'm about to throw out my home-grown broad beans :( Baked beans rinsed are still no good for me. I eat red kidney beans in chilli beef out of defiance really, hoping the fat will limit the BS rise.
I can't find a consensus on here so have a search for "pulses" and see what you come up with. It really is a case of making an informed choice.

Reactions: 3 people

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
BS has gone up again. Not sure now what is causing it. Only food really I can blame it on is Lentils

The problem is that even if a food has a low GI, it still has the carbs and that will cause a rise in BG. Lower GI carbs just cause a smaller rise for a longer period of time - a long low bump if you like - instead of a sudden high spike and crash.

Did you look at free apps like My Fitness Pal which will help you find "hidden" carbs like these?

Olaf-Jensen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem is that even if a food has a low GI, it still has the carbs and that will cause a rise in BG. Lower GI carbs just cause a smaller rise for a longer period of time - a long low bump if you like - instead of a sudden high spike and crash.
Thats true. After the meal with Lentils BS went up gradually all afternoon

Reactions: 2 people

Olaf-Jensen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Did you look at free apps like My Fitness Pal which will help you find "hidden" carbs like these?
Not got the app

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah, I think pulses are going to be out for me
It may not be the case for you but if I can't have something in the amount I want I don't see the point in having, like, four broad beans just to prove I can handle them. I make a nice dahl-type thing with cauliflower.
The one exception is new potatoes, where I will have two little 'uns with butter when Mrs DeeJay is scoffing hers. Sorry, eating them delicately.

Olaf-Jensen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It may not be the case for you but if I can't have something in the amount I want I don't see the point in having, like, four broad beans just to prove I can handle them. I make a nice dahl-type thing with cauliflower.
The one exception is new potatoes, where I will have two little 'uns with butter when Mrs DeeJay is scoffing hers. Sorry, eating them delicately.
Man after my own heart. Just need food to bulk out my meal really, something tasty

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I can't see a problem in that.
I avoid foods that give my a spike, (oddly enough, lentils are one) but if I don't get any spike, it means I can handle that particular 'low GI' food.
In my view, if the entire population has a small rise, a small rise isn't going to hurt me.
The only difference is I have to select foods to achieve that, they don't. :(

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I sometimes have a small bit of a carby side, but when I have beans or lentils, a few tablespoons count as one, as they do get my BC up in larger amounts.

Generally, I am getting tired, too, of tiny starchy sides, and would prefer to eat a large portion of cauliflower instead!

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suppose it depends where the "small rise" takes you. If it's more than 2 points above my pre-meal reading or over 7.7 then I'm not happy :rolleyes:

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

This is a good thing, especially for those of us who produce our own insulin right...........

everyone will react differently.......

I wouldn't be looking to take any insulin for 100g of lentils, but that's me....

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suppose it depends where the "small rise" takes you. If it's more than 2 points above my pre-meal reading or over 7.7 then I'm not happy :rolleyes:

If you consider that a 'small rise', what would you call a spike?
Although, if I'm starting in the 4's, I'm not precious on the maximum of 2 I guess.

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As David Mendosa says:

"glycemic index should not be your only criterion when selecting what to eat. The total amount of carbohydrate, the amount and type of fat, and the fiber and salt content are also important dietary considerations. The glycemic index is most useful when deciding which high-carbohydrate foods to eat. But don't let the glycemic index lull you into eating more carbohydrates than your body can handle, particularly if you have diabetes. The number of grams of carbohydrate we consume is awfully important. Make sure you know the carbohydrate content of the foods you eat—study the nutritional information on the package."

In general T1 can eat more carbs than T2 because they take insulin to offset the effects. For most T2 the only way to get down to 'normal' levels is to eat very little carbohydrate of any GI.