tomtom1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Russel Brand
Hi

I was diagnosed last Friday as HbA1c 6 (42) so am still I a state of shock and bewilderment, however, I have to say I am finding this site to be a fantastic resource!
I am waiting for my blood testing kit to arrive and getting to grips with diet changes but the impression I get is that individual results from the same diet vary and until I start testing I will not know how I am doing. Here are my current queries

1. I am a blood donor. Can I give blood while pre-diabetic?
  2. Being a bit of a "wus", I find the worst part of giving blood is the finger prick test before hand which I find more painful than the transfusion . So my question is how many times a day should you test? Should it be before and after breakfast one day, lunch the next etc Do not want to have fingers like a collender!
  3. There is a family history of heart problems and I have been on statins (40mg) for about 5 years. For all of my adult life I have believed that a low fat diet was the way to go. Now I read that LCHF is recommended even for those with my background. Is this a very new idea? I feel a little uncomfortable about this.
  4. What range of results should I expect when I start testing
Many thanks

Tom

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi

I was diagnosed last Friday as HbA1c 6 (42) so am still I a state of shock and bewilderment, however, I have to say I am finding this site to be a fantastic resource!
I am waiting for my blood testing kit to arrive and getting to grips with diet changes but the impression I get is that individual results from the same diet vary and until I start testing I will not know how I am doing. Here are my current queries

2. Being a bit of a "wus", I find the worst part of giving blood is the finger prick test before hand which I find more painful than the transfusion . So my question is how many times a day should you test? Should it be before and after breakfast one day, lunch the next etc Do not want to have fingers like a collender!
  3. There is a family history of heart problems and I have been on statins (40mg) for about 5 years. For all of my adult life I have believed that a low fat diet was the way to go. Now I read that LCHF is recommended even for those with my background. Is this a very new idea? I feel a little uncomfortable about this.
Many thanks

Tom

Hi Tom
1. Yes, but ask your GP!
2. We recommend before and two hours after. Keep a food diary with your results.
3. No, it's also called paleo! Work it out!
4. The range should be no more than 2mmols higher than your pre meal test. If it is higher, then something needs to be eliminated from your diet.

And yes we are all different, from having no tolerance for carbs to hardly any!

tomtom1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Russel Brand
Hi Tom
1. Yes, but ask your GP!
2. We recommend before and two hours after. Keep a food diary with your results.
3. No, it's also called paleo! Work it out!
4. The range should be no more than 2mmols higher than your pre meal test. If it is higher, then something needs to be eliminated from your diet.

And yes we are all different, from having no tolerance for carbs to hardly any!

Hi

Not sure what you mean in reply number 3.

Also, how many tests should I do per day or per week ?

Thanks

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As you are pre diabetic I would think sensible changes to your diet would be enough. Cutting down processed foods and lowering carbs should be a good start. You could test before and 2 hours after every meal and when you get up to see what your fasting blood glucose is if you wanted to. You will probably see after a while which foods make your bg go higher and then be able to adjust your diet accordingly and so avoid unnecessary testing and finger pricking :) Cut down on the obvious...potatoes, pasta, rice, cakes, crisps, sweets and take aways if you have them....and take time to read a few food labels when you shop...it's amazing how many carbs and sugars are hidden in food we think is healthy. Drink plenty of water and do a bit of walking or exercise if you can....all helps to hold full blown diabetes at bay :) Your HbA1c isn't that high and I am sure you can bring that down with diet changes :)

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi

Not sure what you mean in reply number 3.

Also, how many tests should I do per day or per week ?

Thanks
Paleo is an abbreviation of Paleolithic which is a period in early human history.
If you eat three meals then two per meal total of six.
One every pre meal and one every two hours after.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi

Many thanks

Tom
Most people find the least painful place to prick is the side of the finger, beside the fingerprint "pad" area. Also, a fresh lancet is better than one that has been used several times as they get a bit blunt. Testing on each side of each finger means you only come back to the same spot after 8 tests. You will probably find you only need to test a few times then you will know what to eat and not eat.

I'm not sure the Paleo way of eating is all that great. LCHF covers a whole spectrum of approaches and Paleo is only one option. I eat cream, yoghurt, and butter, which isn't Paleo, for example. Whatever way you do it, reducing carbs and at least avoiding low fat foods which usually have added carbs seems the best way to go.

Reactions: 2 people