A Month Into Low Carbing

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
I'm sort of resigned to the fact that it's going to be a constant battle, and some days I'm just not going to fight it.
I don't want diabetic complications so that's my motivation, but sometimes I'll look at a sausage roll with all that lovely pastry and think that the long term consequences can get stuffed!

I haven't given in yet because I've got my 3 month blood test tomorrow, but it's only a matter of time. In the grand scheme of things I don't think it hurts to have a day off.

Reactions: 6 people

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My motto is just to make the best choices I can at the time. That's based on what is available and how I'm feeling.

Reactions: 5 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My motto is just to make the best choices I can at the time. That's based on what is available and how I'm feeling.

That works for me as well.
I find all my numbers are where I want them to be, without needing to plan around what I eat, instead I can eat around what I plan, and enjoy myself.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That works for me as well.
I find all my numbers are where I want them to be, without needing to plan around what I eat, instead I can eat around what I plan, and enjoy myself.

Are you on any meds? (If you don't mind me asking)

My bit of pizza cheat yesterday gave me a FBG reading of 8 this morning. Do you think that when you do strict LC/HF any deviation comes as a shock to the system and peaks you higher than if your body was used to all the carbs?

Living with my T2 insulin dependant O/H is stressful. He gets readings that are off the scale sometimes, yes I mean 30+ but he just pumps in more insulin and carries on eating pies, toast, chips, pizzas, cakes etc. He has hypos in the early hours of the morning too. Before I knew anything about carbs and numbers etc. I just accepted that he knew what he was doing. Of course I knew he shouldn't be having the sweet stuff as that's common knowledge for anyone with Diabetes but now I worry about everything he eats. I know he's fed up with me nagging him but it's hard to see someone you love on what I can only think is a self-destruction path :(

Wouldn't you think that seeing his brother in a pitiful state after having a leg amputated as a result of septicaemia caused by a diabetic ulcer would give him a wake-up call but no :(

Well I'm off out the kitchen now to make a big casserole but I can't stop thinking about the mashed spud and bit of bread to mop up the gravy :D

Have a great Low Carbing day xxx

Reactions: 4 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you on any meds? (If you don't mind me asking)

My bit of pizza cheat yesterday gave me a FBG reading of 8 this morning. Do you think that when you do strict LC/HF any deviation comes as a shock to the system and peaks you higher than if your body was used to all the carbs?

Living with my T2 insulin dependant O/H is stressful. He gets readings that are off the scale sometimes, yes I mean 30+ but he just pumps in more insulin and carries on eating pies, toast, chips, pizzas, cakes etc. He has hypos in the early hours of the morning too. Before I knew anything about carbs and numbers etc. I just accepted that he knew what he was doing. Of course I knew he shouldn't be having the sweet stuff as that's common knowledge for anyone with Diabetes but now I worry about everything he eats. I know he's fed up with me nagging him but it's hard to see someone you love on what I can only think is a self-destruction path :(

Wouldn't you think that seeing his brother in a pitiful state after having a leg amputated as a result of septicaemia caused by a diabetic ulcer would give him a wake-up call but no :(

Well I'm off out the kitchen now to make a big casserole but I can't stop thinking about the mashed spud and bit of bread to mop up the gravy :D

Have a great Low Carbing day xxx

A mid level dose of metformin, I don't actually know if I really need it, and I find if my prescription runs out, and I haven't nipped back to renew it it doesn't make a lot of difference to be honest.
But I greatly prefer staying on the diabetic list, and it is supposed to have other advantages.

Weight loss, and exercise makes the most difference to me.
I avoid processed carbs, (well processed food of any type where I can)

After a lot of practice, I can estimate which foods, and quantities, will affect me.
Bread out here can be varied, but there is a lot of multiseeded bread now, a small amount with a lot of salad, olives, some cheese, meats, seafood, so long as I watch the overall mix, and the calories, I'm fine normally.
I don't like fat as such either.
I certainly find if I don't eat carbs, (easy to do if I have a few days on salads, fish, meat and cheese) the rice and pasta has a much greater effect the first time around.
I don't eat spuds particularly, but am fond of a bit of Yuka when I see it.
Interestingly, my fasting level will often decrease slightly after a day or two of carbs.
I suspect my fasting creeps up on low carb, as my pancreas isn't doing much, then the carbs kick it into life, and it produces a bit more insulin.
Also my liver probably doesn't do as big a dump in the morning, as it expects more carbs to be on the way.
But any single change is unpredictable, the same thing can send me up one time, and down the next.

I may be more laid back than others on this though, so long as my numbers are reasonable, and the changes follow the expected pattern, I don't particularly stress the individual readings.

As to pies, toast, chips, pizzas, cakes etc, I can see why doctors advocate the 'eatwell plate'
It may be rubbish compared to some things, but it's an improvement compared to others.
Pies, before you serve them, whip the top off, and you'll halve the pastry content.
Chips, try switching to sweet potato, baked in the oven.
Pizza, thin crust, and cut off the crust before you serve it.
Cakes, there are low carb versions on here.
I may be shot for this, but any start that you can do is better than a 'gold standard' that will never happen.

I must admit, my tastes changed when I decided to give up anything sweet, then changed again when I went to a Mediterranean diet, so anything to get the taste of sugar out is a good start.

And as to the mashed spud, I used to go for mashed swede, or sweet potato, or turnip, or a combination of them instead.
I believe Lidl has some form of 'protein bread', but not the ones here though.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that, after a while, boredom becomes one of the biggest factors in lchf self-sabotage.
Omelette and salad every day would bore me rigid.

Believe me, this is the voice of experience!

It really pays to put a bit of effort into emergency contingency plans - and the options are mindblowingly delicious. And it is very easy to have the ingredients to hand.

Low carb hot choc
9 bars
Pork scratchings
mattersons sausage (fab in lc cauli cheese)
Yogurt and berries
Berries and cream (frozen berries)
Peanut butter (a teasp sitting on top of a square of 70% choc is divine)
Fat bombs (frozen)

Herbs, spices, added cheese, cream and seasonings are the mainstay.

I have chicken thighs in the fridge. Boring, eh? Not really, because i also have garlic, herbs, tinned tomatoes, onion, pataks curry pastes, paprika, jerk seasoning, butter, anchovies, cheddar, Parmesan and umami paste. With those, the world is my lobster...

The possibilities are endless, and often require minimal planning, but make a huge difference to lchf survival.

It really does HAVE to be sustainable.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think that, after a while, boredom becomes one of the biggest factors in lchf self-sabotage.
Omelette and salad every day would bore me rigid.

Believe me, this is the voice of experience!

It really pays to put a bit of effort into emergency contingency plans - and the options are mindblowingly delicious. And it is very easy to have the ingredients to hand.

Low carb hot choc
9 bars
Pork scratchings
mattersons sausage (fab in lc cauli cheese)
Yogurt and berries
Berries and cream (frozen berries)
Peanut butter (a teasp sitting on top of a square of 70% choc is divine)
Fat bombs (frozen)

Herbs, spices, added cheese, cream and seasonings are the mainstay.

I have chicken thighs in the fridge. Boring, eh? Not really, because i also have garlic, herbs, tinned tomatoes, onion, pataks curry pastes, paprika, jerk seasoning, butter, anchovies, cheddar, Parmesan and umami paste. With those, the world is my lobster...

The possibilities are endless, and often require minimal planning, but make a huge difference to lchf survival.

It really does HAVE to be sustainable.

The problem is, quite often they're all snacks, or food that needs preparation.
I'm not defending it, but the good old days of getting a packet of crisps, or a packet of biscuits, and putting the kettle on are the things I miss most.
(And when you say they're snacks as well, not in the quantity I used to eat ;) )
Just the simple, mindless ease.
(too easy)

The heat here makes a difference though.
Everything melts, and even somehow yogurt hasn't any appeal for some reason.
Fruit still has though.
Meat benefits from spices as you say, but then we also have some amazing sausages, even from the local supermarket.
Cooked and then eaten cold works for most things as well.
Fresh rabbit is good here as well, although I prefer gutting it and skinning it myself, than buying the frozen stuff.
As for the fish!!!

I think the UK has let itself lose track of food, it's just not comparable to europe anymore.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Give me one of those with melted butter and I might even consider one of those bulletproof thingies

I could, (and have) lived off langoustine, with garlic butter, or thermidor sauce.
Very, very reasonably priced.

Reactions: 4 people

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all your tips and good advice everyone. Sugars have been up in the 8s all day for no apparent reason as I've been good and got straight back onto the diet.

I think I'm in overload at the moment. I need to just get on with it and stop whining :(

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So.. I've been waiting patiently for my test results but I got a phone call this morning asking me to go in on Wednesday to discuss my results with the DN. I said I haven't had my printed results yet and the Receptionist said "yes, but the Dr. has pre-empted that and wants you to go in and discuss the results with DN and she'll go over it with you" ??? :( I don't know what to think now. Is it good or is it bad? Will have to wait and see what they say on Wednesday ... Grrrr! I want my print out. :rolleyes:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So.. I've been waiting patiently for my test results but I got a phone call this morning asking me to go in on Wednesday to discuss my results with the DN. I said I haven't had my printed results yet and the Receptionist said "yes, but the Dr. has pre-empted that and wants you to go in and discuss the results with DN and she'll go over it with you" ??? :( I don't know what to think now. Is it good or is it bad? Will have to wait and see what they say on Wednesday ... Grrrr! I want my print out. :rolleyes:

Personally, I'd put a call in, or drop in, asking for the print out, so that you can do some thinking beforehand. you having them won't change the results or what your DN might suggest, so I can't see any material reason they would withhold then. They are your results after all. It's up to you.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, I'd put a call in, or drop in, asking for the print out, so that you can do some thinking beforehand. you having them won't change the results or what your DN might suggest, so I can't see any material reason they would withhold then. They are your results after all. It's up to you.

If I phone or go in I will only see the Receptionist who just phoned me and she seemed quite adamant that I wasn't getting them but had to go in for a discussion instead. Why do they do this!!! They start a system whereby you get printed read-outs so you can tick off the things you want to discuss, then suddenly decide you can't have them before seeing the DN. Just causes more stress wondering why it's so important that I see the DN first. :(

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If I phone or go in I will only see the Receptionist who just phoned me and she seemed quite adamant that I wasn't getting them but had to go in for a discussion instead. Why do they do this!!! They start a system whereby you get printed read-outs so you can tick off the things you want to discuss, then suddenly decide you can't have them before seeing the DN. Just causes more stress wondering why it's so important that I see the DN first. :(

It can be good or bad.
It also means the majority of type 2 patients don't know what the numbers mean, and gives the surgery a chance to discuss this, as care needs to be ongoing.

Would be a shame if they gave someone really good results for example, as a one off, and after a bit of googling they believed they were 'cured' and never went back for example.

Only our nurse or doctor gives out results, the receptionist is not allowed to, so results can be discussed.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It can be good or bad.
It also means the majority of type 2 patients don't know what the numbers mean, and gives the surgery a chance to discuss this, as care needs to be ongoing.

Would be a shame if they gave someone really good results for example, as a one off, and after a bit of googling they believed they were 'cured' and never went back for example.

Only our nurse or doctor gives out results, the receptionist is not allowed to, so results can be discussed.

Yes, I see what you're saying - it just annoys me as I was looking forward to getting my first results after starting the LC/HF way of living. Just the DN spouting numbers at me won't sink in like if I had it in black and white beforehand. I will just worry though that my cholesterol has got out of control or my kidney function is worse than before :( even if the BS has improved.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Saw the DN yesterday and she was happier with my results than I was. After 3 months of LC/HF my results were only down from 7.4% to 7% or 57 to 53 :( OK so it's down but that doesn't seem much compared to the struggle I've had keeping strictly to the diet :( (and I don't mean keeping off the cheats, I mean strictly)

She said my cholesterol was amazing and I did get a print out off her but I don't really understand it. Don't know if anyone can translate this for me?

Serum total cholesterol level 3.8 mmol/L
Serum trig levels 1.4 mmol/L [0.6 -2.0]
Serum HDL cholesterol level Below Range 0.82 mmol/L [0.9 - 2.3] Below low reference limit
High Density lipoprotein/total cholesterol ratio 21.6% [12.0 - 40.0]
Serum cholesterol/HDL ratio 4.6
Calculated LDL cholesterol level 2.3 mmol/L

It's all greek to me but she seemed happy with it.

She was interested in the diet, and said she had another (young) patient having success with it, congratulated me on taking control and even gave me a hug when I left !!!

She did show me a sheaf of papers relating to them cutting back on giving out monitors and warned me that I might not get my next lot of strips but I was prepared for that and I'll just have to get a Codefree with cheaper strips.

So .. where do I go from here? Was getting to the end of my rope with LC/HF - the restrictions and the lack of weight loss (still stuck on 11st 7lbs) not lost anything for ages.

I've gone to bed starving even though I've had fats and protein, have a permanently dry mouth and frequent palpitations when I'm hungry. My stomach turns over when I look at cauli, broccoli, cabbage etc. Can't live on eggs because likewise. I want to include a few "cheats" but I get a panic attack when I look at the forbidden stuff :(

DN said I shouldn't be so hard on myself and have a little of what I fancy occasionally.

Being such a reluctant cook I was wondering about the "milk shakes" diet? Are they the same as Slimfast?

Help!

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations!
It's a good result after three months.

It's worth using those figures to point out that you need the meter as you are improving your diet, and you have been using it successfully as part of your treatment.
The Newcastle Diet does seem to have good results on here, any diet drink, Slimfast, Tesco's, even real food seems to have produced excellent results.

As to cheats, well, everything is going the right way, but it's only the first test, and the second one should be even better, if you introduce cheats now, and something does change, you won't know what caused it, so it's better to resist for the time being.

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
I can't comment on the cholesterol but I'll be interested in the discussion about your results because mine are imminent!

On 31st July you posted you were 11 stone 12. Today you post that you are 11 stone 7. I make that 5lb in five weeks. That's a perfectly respectable and sustainable rate of weight loss and something to be proud of. Don't do yourself down - that's an achievement! :) For comparison, I've lost 6 pounds in the same period. That's the same kind of pace... slow and steady. Keep at it and it'll keep working.

You've openly admitted that you have struggled with LCHF and fallen off the wagon a few times. Yet here we are, despite all that, with improved numbers across the board. Raise a glass and be proud of yourself!

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations!
It's a good result after three months.

It's worth using those figures to point out that you need the meter as you are improving your diet, and you have been using it successfully as part of your treatment.
The Newcastle Diet does seem to have good results on here, any diet drink, Slimfast, Tesco's, even real food seems to have produced excellent results.

As to cheats, well, everything is going the right way, but it's only the first test, and the second one should be even better, if you introduce cheats now, and something does change, you won't know what caused it, so it's better to resist for the time being.

Thanks @SunnyExpat x I did say that I need a meter to carry on what I'm doing but she said if it was up to her I could keep getting the strips with her blessing but from all the paperwork relating to latest legislation she showed me it seems that the NHS are cutting right back and the criteria for getting the strips on the NHS is going to be for insulin dependants only. She said it all has to be implemented by March next year.

I was looking on Amazon at the Codefree one but the reviews weren't very good. I know lots of people on here use them though.

I wonder if I could use the meal replacement shakes on days when I really can't be bothered to cook? Would they be interchangeable with LC/HF i.e. do the 5+2 - 5 days of low carbing and 2 days of meal replacement? As you say, I don't want to muck up what I've already achieved. Confused.com :)

I can't comment on the cholesterol but I'll be interested in the discussion about your results because mine are imminent!

On 31st July you posted you were 11 stone 12. Today you post that you are 11 stone 7. I make that 5lb in five weeks. That's a perfectly respectable and sustainable rate of weight loss and something to be proud of. Don't do yourself down - that's an achievement! :) For comparison, I've lost 6 pounds in the same period. That's the same kind of pace... slow and steady. Keep at it and it'll keep working.

You've openly admitted that you have struggled with LCHF and fallen off the wagon a few times. Yet here we are, despite all that, with improved numbers across the board. Raise a glass and be proud of yourself!

Thanks @GeoffersTaylor x Good luck with yours. Up to my blood test my only cheats was one bacon sandwich one morning and a take-away of scampi and corn on the cob. Bearing in mind that prior to that I was scoffing half a packet of biscuits dunked in tea on a regular basis, copious amounts of chips with everything plus bread, bread and more bread, I really thought I'd been nothing short of saintly and the weight would just fall away. I suppose it's the exercise I need to step up.

Oh and I found out why I didn't get the full print-out that I'd had before. It was because this wasn't my annual review (are they annual, I thought they were 6-monthly). Even the DN wasn't sure why I'd been called in. I think it was because I mentioned to the doctor at my general pill review that I wasn't taking any diabetic meds and she ordered the blood test to see what was going on so it was an interim one.

I will do as you say and raise a glass of water to continued success :)

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @SunnyExpat x I did say that I need a meter to carry on what I'm doing but she said if it was up to her I could keep getting the strips with her blessing but from all the paperwork relating to latest legislation she showed me it seems that the NHS are cutting right back and the criteria for getting the strips on the NHS is going to be for insulin dependants only. She said it all has to be implemented by March next year.

I was looking on Amazon at the Codefree one but the reviews weren't very good. I know lots of people on here use them though.

I wonder if I could use the meal replacement shakes on days when I really can't be bothered to cook? Would they be interchangeable with LC/HF i.e. do the 5+2 - 5 days of low carbing and 2 days of meal replacement? As you say, I don't want to muck up what I've already achieved. Confused.com :)

Thanks @GeoffersTaylor x Good luck with yours. Up to my blood test my only cheats was one bacon sandwich one morning and a take-away of scampi and corn on the cob. Bearing in mind that prior to that I was scoffing half a packet of biscuits dunked in tea on a regular basis, copious amounts of chips with everything plus bread, bread and more bread, I really thought I'd been nothing short of saintly and the weight would just fall away. I suppose it's the exercise I need to step up.

Oh and I found out why I didn't get the full print-out that I'd had before. It was because this wasn't my annual review (are they annual, I thought they were 6-monthly). Even the DN wasn't sure why I'd been called in. I think it was because I mentioned to the doctor at my general pill review that I wasn't taking any diabetic meds and she ordered the blood test to see what was going on so it was an interim one.

I will do as you say and raise a glass of water to continued success :)

In the overall scheme of things, yes, they are replacements for meals.
They are generally a carb based meal/drink, but they are also low calorie, so not a high impact amount of carbs.
But, and it's a big but, if you do the 800 calorie/ 3 shakes and a salad type, you are getting about 40g of carbs per meal.
Ok if you are calorie deficient overall.
If you have one or two shakes, then top up the day with a high fat meal, you need to watch the carbs in that meal.
Or watch the calories.
You may be better biting the bullet, accept the fact the learning curve is a big one, and accepting the cauli as your new best friend until you find your feet, get your results into the right place, and then expanding your diet to keep it there.
And there is a lot of help on here for quick and easy low carb recipes.
But, the reward is worth the **** for the first few months.