Tired all the time!

Ebony2102

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why am I tired all the time? I'm insulin resistant and was diagnosed nearly 16 years ago and I've always been the same, I've always been able to manage and cope somehow. Without any issues of feeling drained. Recently its been tough, I can't sleep through worry of ny diabetes, but when I finally do I wake up with high blood sugars and for the rest of the day I struggle to find energy. I thought I would be immune to feeling high after all this time. HELP!

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Why am I tired all the time? I'm insulin resistant and was diagnosed nearly 16 years ago and I've always been the same, I've always been able to manage and cope somehow. Without any issues of feeling drained. Recently its been tough, I can't sleep through worry of ny diabetes, but when I finally do I wake up with high blood sugars and for the rest of the day I struggle to find energy. I thought I would be immune to feeling high after all this time. HELP!
Hi, I can't offer specific help as I'm T2 but I'm bumping your thread and hoping some T1s/insulin users will pop in to help.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Having uncontrolled diabetes can make you lethargic and emotionally stressed, have you spoken with your diabetes team about this and if you have what steps are they taking to help you?

Ebony2102

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have spoken to them about this and they have said to try and get my blood sugar level under controlled which for me seems Impossible! I have never been controlled and I don't know what more I can do to help control it or even to make my body more sensitive to insulin. I've tried everything I can think of. Any ideas?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I have spoken to them about this and they have said to try and get my blood sugar level under controlled which for me seems Impossible! I have never been controlled and I don't know what more I can do to help control it or even to make my body more sensitive to insulin. I've tried everything I can think of. Any ideas?

They should be working with you to get your bg levels under control, have you been on a carb counting course such as DAFNE?

There's a really good book that I'd recommend you read called Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner, it starts with the basics and goes through things like getting the basal dose right and your insulin-to-carb ratio's, there's also a good on-line carb counting course which you may want to have a look at, but above all else you need to get your basal dose right before anything else:

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Have basic things like iron and thyroid levels been checked and or folic acid levels?

Ebony2102

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been on a course for carb counting and I'm doing that now, I've been given my ratios and so I'm going by them, but still no help. I've had my thyroid and everything checked recently and come back fine so I don't know what else to try. I have a carbs and cals book I try and go by but I will try and find the one you said about

iHs

@Ebony2102........Try changing to a different analogue bolus to see if the tired feeling goes. I felt completely different changing from Humalog to Apidra

Ebony2102

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They won't change my insulin as I am now trying to sort myself out to have the pump now. It seems this is my last option, I hate this feeling of always feeling so drained! I've changed from lantus to Levemir but they won't change the novo rapid now