Newly Diagnosed eyesight changing advice

Andy Blin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I'm needing a bit of advice. 3 weeks back I got diagnosed with T1 (unfortunately crashed in Egypt while on hols). My eyesight went from prescription -1.0 to +3.5, I got replacement glasses as couldn't see a thing (after 2 weeks) and now another 10 days on the long distance has moved again. Anyone know how long it takes for the eyes to "settle down" as I can't be changing glasses once a month? Any help appreciated...

S

Shar67

When I was diagnosed, optician told me I would have to wait for between 8/12 weeks, strangely my sight got better

Tfqleeds

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I'm needing a bit of advice. 3 weeks back I got diagnosed with T1 (unfortunately crashed in Egypt while on hols). My eyesight went from prescription -1.0 to +3.5, I got replacement glasses as couldn't see a thing (after 2 weeks) and now another 10 days on the long distance has moved again. Anyone know how long it takes for the eyes to "settle down" as I can't be changing glasses once a month? Any help appreciated...

Hello, I don't think there is an exact science to this, everyones bodies and eyes are different. I have always had 'rubbish' eye sight and required glasses for tv, driving, meetings etc. Extreme blurry vision was one of the severe symptoms that I experienced pre type one diagnosis in July that drove me to quickly go to the doctors. I suffered the blurry vision to the point when I couldn't clearly see someones face two metres away for about two and a half weeks. This was a very unpleasant experience. Later I discovered this was due to the dryness of the eyes from the dehydration I was suffering and something to do with changes to the glucose in the lens.

Anyway after the two and a half weeks had gone by the blurred vision suddenly stopped and my eye sight has become the best it has ever been, bionic vision. My glasses are no longer needed! I read online in various forums that this would only last for three weeks or so but it has been two months now and still going strong.

If you still need glasses you can get free eye tests as a diabetic and maybe just go for the cheapest pair available if you feel they will only be for a limited period of time.