5 weeks pregnant...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I am about 5 weeks pregnant and am having problems with my sugars already, I can't get them to go below 10 :( and I am kind of freaking out!!

I stopped using the pump about 4 months ago but now I am thinking maybe I should be back on it for the pregnancy?? I don't have an appointment with GP/Nurse until next week!

Yuste

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey,

First of all - Congratulations! :)
Remember that thinking positive always helps. I had high readings in the beginnings also and didn't use pump. What helped me to control sugars better was taking insulin 15mins before meal, increasing the dose (ofcourse) and checking checking checking blood sugars…. at night, in the morning, before every meal, after every meal.
Try to avoid sugary stuff and food high in carbs.

Hope this helps a bit.

Juste xxx

Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, I am about 5 weeks pregnant and am having problems with my sugars already, I can't get them to go below 10 :( and I am kind of freaking out!!

I stopped using the pump about 4 months ago but now I am thinking maybe I should be back on it for the pregnancy?? I don't have an appointment with GP/Nurse until next week!

Hello and many congratulations. Try not to stress out too much as this will send your BS up. During pregnancy your Insulin requirements with differ, from quite a lot to possibly hardly any. Your body is changing so much right now and it can take a lot of tweaking.
Any concerns or problems then it's best to in get in touch with your DSN. Also some type 1 ladies have recently had babies, so have a look at the forum sections for some helpful advice and support ( I had my daughter at 42 1/2 and she will be 15 next week) :joyful::happy:
Take care of yourself and try to enjoy your pregnancy :)

Best wishes RRN

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

I'll tag @azure as she is a pump user and recently had a baby.

Hope all works out well for you.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello and many congratulations. Try not to stress out too much as this will send your BS up. During pregnancy your Insulin requirements with differ, from quite a lot to possibly hardly any. Your body is changing so much right now and it can take a lot of tweaking.
Any concerns or problems then it's best to in get in touch with your DSN. Also some type 1 ladies have recently had babies, so have a look at the forum sections for some helpful advice and support ( I had my daughter at 42 1/2 and she will be 15 next week) :joyful::happy:
Take care of yourself and try to enjoy your pregnancy :)

Best wishes RRN
I am still waiting to get a DSN I don't currently have one because I registered with a new GP in a different borough, I don't see a GP until the 12th :(

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi :)

Congratulations on your pregnancy :) If you're ok with a pump, I think you might find it useful during pregnancy. Your insulin will need a lot of adjusting and its so much easier to do that on a pump. My consultant said they usually offer one to women during pregnancy as they can get better control on one.

Don't panic about the highs. During pregnancy you just have to adjust to what's happening. Sometimes you'll have lots of lows and have to reduce your insulin, other times it'll need increasing, and increasing quite a lot towards the end of pregnancy.

When are you getting the highs? Have they on,y just started since you've become pregnant or have you had control problems before?

If you're confident doing correction doses, you could do that but, as always, err on the side of caution, and if in any doubt speak to a medical person.

I didn't adjust my basal that early in pregnancy because I was nervous, but I did do correction doses. I also tended to eat similar things each day just so I could get things under control in that early stage. When I became pregnant I phoned my hospital team straightaway and they got me an ante natal appointment really quickly. If you're concerned, you could try doing that and see what they say, or you could ask for an appointment with your GP sooner. i think the first option is what I'd do as some GPs don't know that much about diabetes in pregnancy and so may be unable to give that much help.