Chronic wind

susan191052

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
additives in food, use of pesticides on food crops, tattoos, you, football
I am recently diagnosed (June2015) T2 and am on Metformin SR and Sitagliptin. My GP did warn me that the caused wind which I accepted but I am currently suffering with extremely bad wind which started yesterday (I had an episode of this 2 weeks ago) and is still continuing today with noisy rumbling and pain in my upper and lower abdomen and accompanied by diarrhoea, as a result I had to abandon my second session of DESMOND training as on the drive there I had extreme urgency and had to return home.

Anybody got any suggestions to help the situation, please?

SRO

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I found that as soon as I lowered my carb intake, it improved almost immediately.
Are you counting carbs?
I haven't been on it that long (5 weeks-ish), so hoping it improves with time as well.

Keen to hear if anyone does have a better solution, though.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, for me Carbs trigger Metformin "effects"

Anytime I get the rumbling and wind I know I must have eaten too many Carbs, and when I check I always have.

Anytime I get close to 100g a day it starts, although I usually aim for less than 70g

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes carbs can be a culprit so certainly watch how many you're eating. Also foods/chocolate/sweeteners that contain sugar alcohol/polyols can cause this sort of issue if consumed in any quantity -so check nutritional labelling carefully.

Robbity

susan191052

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks y'all
I've been doing a fair bit of low GI diet but was distressed to discover fruit is full of carbs as it is my go to hunger buster.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not all fruit is full of carbs, so if you look for lower carb ones (usually berries) you should be OK - but keep quantities down, e.g. to under 10 grams carbs to 100g weight of fruit. Make sure though that you eat it some cream or full fat yoghurt and not on its own!

Robbity

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Metformin SR is usually very good but be aware that a few people can't tolerate Metformin in any form so if it doesn't clear have a chat with the GP. Diet as always is the highest priority.

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FWIW I have found that taking Metformin every 8 hrs instead of with meals keeps my BG lower
Any one had similar experience?

G

graj0

FWIW I have found that taking Metformin every 8 hrs instead of with meals keeps my BG lower
Any one had similar experience?
Be prepared for several different answers. I have been told that the reason to take them with meals is to prevent the bowel problems associated with taking them on an empty stomach. Also the drug is meant to have an accumulative effect which is why missing one shouldn't make a difference. I have also read that it may take 2 - 3 months to become fully effective.
My own personal experience is that the stomach problems are much less when I take them just after a meal and much less when I lowered my carb intake.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am recently diagnosed (June2015) T2 and am on Metformin SR and Sitagliptin. My GP did warn me that the caused wind which I accepted but I am currently suffering with extremely bad wind which started yesterday (I had an episode of this 2 weeks ago) and is still continuing today with noisy rumbling and pain in my upper and lower abdomen and accompanied by diarrhoea, as a result I had to abandon my second session of DESMOND training as on the drive there I had extreme urgency and had to return home.

Anybody got any suggestions to help the situation, please?
I can only tell you a story that happened to me. I am closely involved with the medical research section at the Uni of Surrey. One of their number gave a talk to a committee on which I sit. The talk revolved around the problems which abound amongst those of us who have to take Metformin. Evidently there are some 150 or thereabouts bacterea living in the bowel. Each of which have a specific job to do to maintain full health. It has been discovered by one of the Uni research people that when you swallow Metformin it kills off a particular bacterea, and guess what this little fellow does. Your dead right. His job is to control methane production in the bowel. Now I was not an immediate convert to the idea that followed, but I listened any way. The research people had discovered that if you take a live yoghurt at the same time as you took metformin the yoghurt protected the bacterea, and thus the methane level was controlled. I have tried this and I can state without doubt that It works with me. It also works with several friends who have the same problem. By live yoghurt I mean Actimel or A similar type, but it must be live.I hope maybe this will help but it's worth a try.

susan191052

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can only tell you a story that happened to me. I am closely involved with the medical research section at the Uni of Surrey. One of their number gave a talk to a committee on which I sit. The talk revolved around the problems which abound amongst those of us who have to take Metformin. Evidently there are some 150 or thereabouts bacterea living in the bowel. Each of which have a specific job to do to maintain full health. It has been discovered by one of the Uni research people that when you swallow Metformin it kills off a particular bacterea, and guess what this little fellow does. Your dead right. His job is to control methane production in the bowel. Now I was not an immediate convert to the idea that followed, but I listened any way. The research people had discovered that if you take a live yoghurt at the same time as you took metformin the yoghurt protected the bacterea, and thus the methane level was controlled. I have tried this and I can state without doubt that It works with me. It also works with several friends who have the same problem. By live yoghurt I mean Actimel or A similar type, but it must be live.I hope maybe this will help but it's worth a try.
Thank you, that is an easy one for me as I eat live yoghurt to keep thrush at bay, something I have suffered from for years and only resurfaced recently and prompted a practice nurse to ask for a diabetes blood test, the rest is history.