Newly diagnosed type 1 at 52 years old

Kateo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi, there have been no diabetics in my family before but at the grand old age of 52 I've been diagnosed with type 1. Obviously because of my age everyone assumed me to be type 2 but test results have confirmed me T1. I'm wheat intolerant but NOT coeliac and am struggling hugely with what I should and shouldn't eat. There are times when I get my insulin dose right but more times when I don't. I've just tested my blood and it was 25.1mmol and I have no idea where that's come from. I keep increasing my lantus dose (slowly over several days) thinking that will help but then have hypos during the night and I'm scared I won't wake up. I don't want my daughter to find me unresponsive ever...
Should I ask my doctor to see a dietician to sort something out for me? It's been 6 months since my diagnosis and really thought I'd have this cracked by now.
Also, my eldest daughter is showing signs of gluten intolerance. She's 22...is diabetes likely to follow? Can I do anything to prevent this...like me she is healthy with her diet, active, fit, slim...it's all very unfair

Last edited by a moderator:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Do you have a rapid insulin as well as the Lantus? As a T1 you should be on the Basal/Bolus regime with Basal such as Lantus and a rapid such as Novorapid to take at mealtimes. Your blood sugar should definitely not be in the 20s. With a rapid insulin you would also need to carb count with it i.e. adjust it for the amount of carbs in the meal. Many of us would say to be careful with NHS dietiicians as many don't have a clue when it comes to diet for diabetes. You can get all the diet advice you need from this website. In summary, keep the carbs down and have enough protein and fats to keep you feeling full and of course have veg and fruit. Do let us know you insulin regime.

jamesfitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I paid for an food intolerance test off wowcher and my results came back saying i was wheat intolerant. I also got diagnosed with type 1 3 months ago however my diet has not changed much and i still eat plenty of wholemeal bread- i just make sure i have my novorapid 20 minutes before i eat and i generally dont peak above 7.5

Yelekreb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome, I was diagnosed as T1 at 47! Once you get the insulin right, you'll feel much better. Good luck,

Kazz94

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told today that i have a 49 result on the blood test which makes me diabetic. How does my doctor know if I'm type 1 or 2. She says that I am most likely to be type 2 and wants to prescribe 2 types of medication. i want to deal with this with diet and supplements if possible, Any advice would be welcome as I am feeling quite scared at the moment.

Kateo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi and welcome. Do you have a rapid insulin as well as the Lantus? As a T1 you should be on the Basal/Bolus regime with Basal such as Lantus and a rapid such as Novorapid to take at mealtimes. Your blood sugar should definitely not be in the 20s. With a rapid insulin you would also need to carb count with it i.e. adjust it for the amount of carbs in the meal. Many of us would say to be careful with NHS dietiicians as many don't have a clue when it comes to diet for diabetes. You can get all the diet advice you need from this website. In summary, keep the carbs down and have enough protein and fats to keep you feeling full and of course have veg and fruit. Do let us know you insulin regime.
Good morning, yes I'm on novorapid too. I was told to take 1 unit of novorapid to 10g carbs but I've found I need a little more that 1 unit. And I take that after eating but I've just read below to take it 15 minutes before eating?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi and welcome, type 1 is an auto immune condition, so anyone could get it, from a tiny tot to an older person. It will get easier in time and a forum is a great place for helpful advice and support. Take care.

Best wishes RRB

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning, yes I'm on novorapid too. I was told to take 1 unit of novorapid to 10g carbs but I've found I need a little more that 1 unit. And I take that after eating but I've just read below to take it 15 minutes before eating?
Hi and thanks for the reply. Yes 1 unit to 10gm carbs is where I started and do adjust the ratio to suit the carbs in the meal. It sounds like you may need to balance the Basal? It may be that it is now a bit too high causing hypos and the the rapid ratio needs to be tweaked?

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi, there have been no diabetics in my family before but at the grand old age of 52 I've been diagnosed with type 1. Obviously because of my age everyone assumed me to be type 2 but test results have confirmed me T1. I'm wheat intolerant but NOT coeliac and am struggling hugely with what I should and shouldn't eat. There are times when I get my insulin dose right but more times when I don't. I've just tested my blood and it was 25.1mmol and I have no idea where that's come from. I keep increasing my lantus dose (slowly over several days) thinking that will help but then have hypos during the night and I'm scared I won't wake up. I don't want my daughter to find me unresponsive ever...
Should I ask my doctor to see a dietician to sort something out for me? It's been 6 months since my diagnosis and really thought I'd have this cracked by now.
Also, my eldest daughter is showing signs of gluten intolerance. She's 22...is diabetes likely to follow? Can I do anything to prevent this...like me she is healthy with her diet, active, fit, slim...it's all very unfair
Kateo, if you are Type 1, you should have regular appointments at the local diabetes clinic with an endocrinologist. There should also be a dietician and and diabetes nurse. You should have annual eye inspections and annual foot inspections - free. All your prescriptions should be free and your GP or diabetic clinic can put you on the waiting list for the DAFNE course or whatever your local equivalent is in learning how to coordinate your diet and insulin treatment. Go to your GP and insist on referrals immediately. The first year is the hardest so you are absolutely being neglected now. No wonder you are finding it difficult to control.