Swimming with pump

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
I can swim with my Minimed 640G as it's waterproof and I know you can with Animas Vibe and Omnipod pods (not the Omnipod PDM though). You can swim for as long as you want. :) The 640G is waterproof to 1.8 meters so not suitable for diving but for normal swimming it's fine. ;-)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The 640G is waterproof to 1.8 meters so not suitable for diving but for normal swimming it's fine. ;-)
Lol

... I can imagine diving from a 10m board with a pump on a tube flailing behind you as it fell out of your swimming cossie or shorts...I suspect it would be in a few pieces after that impact!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Depends on the pump, a team of swimmers swam the English channel while using the Animas vibe insulin pump.

Reactions: 2 people

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
To be fair insulin is the last thing I need when I'm swimming! I have to reduce my basal so much before and start with a minimum BG of 10 and invariably I'll still go hypo, my pump is not waterproof so I have to remove it but if it was then I'd probably still remove it. Even being in the sea for a couple of hours at a time during the summer surfing didn't cause my levels any real issues, they were up a bit when I got out but nothing a bit of a temp basal couldn't fix

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
When I said diving I meant deep sea diving, not jumping off a diving board! ;-) Lol! I wouldn't advise doing that wearing any pump! Lol! ;-)

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I take mine off even though it is waterproof. I go in the sauna too and not sure it would like the heat.

irrationalJohn

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I take mine off even though it is waterproof. I go in the sauna too and not sure it would like the heat.
The pump might be affected but also might not. But I would be a lot more worried about the insulin in your pump reservoir and tubing, if you have it, Come to think of it, what do folks with a patch pump do? Just avoid things like saunas?

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I go snorkeling I take my pump off, then if needed I just top up every hour or so with whatever I would normally have taken for that time, a unit or two. I have no issues and normally don't need any extra insulin due to the activity burn off.

WHM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I swim using an Omnipod patch pump which means that basal insulin is continually being administered and I am also able to adjust the basal rate to allow for the exercise involved. Have even used it at waterparks with flumes etc, just need to make sure that I cover it with a waterproof dressing (currently using Opsite flexifit adhesive film which keeps the pod and more importantly the adhesive dry)
As far as saunas are concerned I don't tend to risk it as the insulin may get denatured, however hot tubs not a problem if the pod is high on my arm.

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Went swimming yesterday for first time since being on my pump. I just took it off and left it by pool. When I got out I went into hot tub so was disconnected for around an hour. When I tested afterwards I was 4.5! Lol! ;-)

Reactions: 6 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Went swimming yesterday for first time since being on my pump. I just took it off and left it by pool. When I got out I went into hot tub so was disconnected for around an hour. When I tested afterwards I was 4.5! Lol! ;-)
Mind someone doesn't pick the pump up and disappear with it thinking they have a mobile phone for a freebie. If you loose the pump it's down to you to replace it.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The heat of the hot tub will increase insulin sensitivity, bit like going to somewhere hot on holiday. Combined with the exercise I'm not surprised.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mind someone doesn't pick the pump up and disappear with it thinking they have a mobile phone for a freebie. If you loose the pump it's down to you to replace it.

I would hope the bit of tubing dangling out of it for 70cm and lack of touch screen or keyboard would give it away. Handset is probably more likely in my case as it does look a bit phone-ish

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Don't worry, it was left in my bag which was being looked after by my In laws at time. ;-)

I am full of a cold at the moment, came down with it a couple of days ago, hey ho! My levels are still great! :)