loo at night

Scattygrannie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
not being able to get around due to opp going wrong, waiting to be put right
i drink a lot of water during the day and have to get up to go to the loo 6 or more times is this anyone else is doing if i dont drink so much i still go any ideas,

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Drinking a lot of water is one of the symptoms of diabetes but can always be something else. Have you been diagnosed with diabetes yet? If not do see the GP to have your blood sugar tested. With diabetes, excessive dringking and thirst is due to the kidneys trying to rid the body of excess sugar (glucose) in the blood.

Reactions: 3 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Hello there and welcome. I'll tag @daisy1 who will come along soon with some great advice for you. It does sound like your trips to the loo could be down to diabetes. Daibell has given good advice about seeing your GP. Read some of the threads on symptoms and how to lower your blood sugar, there's lots of info here which will help you.

Scattygrannie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Drinking a lot of water is one of the symptoms of diabetes but can always be something else. Have you been diagnosed with diabetes yet? If not do see the GP to have your blood sugar tested. With diabetes, excessive dringking and thirst is due to the kidneys trying to rid the body of excess sugar (glucose) in the blood.
I was diagnosed with type 2 and have been seen regular dealing with it with diet
Hello there and welcome. I'll tag @daisy1 who will come along soon with some great advice for you. It does sound like your trips to the loo could be down to diabetes. Daibell has given good advice about seeing your GP. Read some of the threads on symptoms and how to lower your blood sugar, there's lots of info here which will help you.

Scattygrannie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Scattygrannie,
Are you taking any meds for hypertension?
regards
Derek
Hi Derek
No I do take codamol

Hi Scattygrannie,
Are you taking any meds for hypertension?
regards
Derek
hi Derek. I am on Co-codamol for a knee opp that I am waiting for I am using the diet to manage the type 2

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Scattygrannie,
Good, hope your pressure stays down. My trips to loo in night are tied up with hypertension. And I have to go more if I lay down in day as well. My kidneys seem to work better laying down!
regards
Derek

Last edited by a moderator:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi again. Do you have a meter and test yourself 2 hours after a meal. You need to know what your blood suagr is so do get a meter if you haven't one.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi and welcome to the forum. Yes, trips to the loo at night (nocturia) can be caused by high blood sugar, or hypertension, or other things including obstructive sleep apnoea. If you feel sleepy during the day, OSA is a possibility.

I hope you get your knee op soon.

Scattygrannie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Scattygrannie,
Good, hope your pressure stays down. My trips to loo in night are tied up with hypertension. And I have to go more if I lay down in day as well. My kidneys seem to work better laying down!
regards
Derek

Scattygrannie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
hi Catlady NZ. out of interest are you in New Zealand?
i take AMLODIPINE for blood pressure which seems to keep it under control. i have been attending hospital for my knee (had implant that went wrong and waiting for it to be put right) so have my blood pressure and diabetes checked regular, my kidneys are ok , i am 67 and always worked but retired 3 years ago and have gone to pot since having my knee done, put on weight as i cant exercise as i am in a wheel chair so hoping all this rightd it self when i am up and about. thank you for your reoly.

Sylvia

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
hi Catlady NZ. out of interest are you in New Zealand?
i take AMLODIPINE for blood pressure which seems to keep it under control. i have been attending hospital for my knee (had implant that went wrong and waiting for it to be put right) so have my blood pressure and diabetes checked regular, my kidneys are ok , i am 67 and always worked but retired 3 years ago and have gone to pot since having my knee done, put on weight as i cant exercise as i am in a wheel chair so hoping all this rightd it self when i am up and about. thank you for your reoly.

Sylvia
Yes, I'm in NZ :) Sorry to hear about your knee.

Scattygrannie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My daughterand 4 grandchildren are in Cambridge NZ they have been there 12 years and she has a shop called MYstyle in Duke street if yoir ever there pop in and say hello, hope you get on ok. thanks for your time.

Sylvia

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Scattygrannie,
The BP drug Amlodipine apparently can cause kidney problems if it is taken with Simvastatin but your GP will know this.
regards
Derek

Soo49

Type of diabetes
Type 2
i drink a lot of water during the day and have to get up to go to the loo 6 or more times is this anyone else is doing if i dont drink so much i still go any ideas,
Oooooooo can empathise here. If I go three times I'm having a good night but I average 4 times a night just about every two hours. Wake up tired and never feeling refreshed at all. Have tried not drinking so much waster but then wake up with a headache from dehydration! Anyone got the answer?

VsUK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Smoking, drugs & Ballet
You know I sometime's have to wake up 2 or 3 time's during the night to urinate. But sometimes I get the sensation I need to urinate but all I get is a drip. It's an extremely uncomfortable feeling & unable to relax until I've been. Recently went on holiday to Turkey. On the plain for 4 & half hours & I was in the middle seat & I kept getting the need to go to the toilet. I couldn't get rid of the feeling & 4 times I had to go to urinate. Sometimes the feeling doesn't go away after & the only relief is an erection as embarrassing as it sounds.

I never had this until I was diabetic!

lindisfel

Expert
You know I sometime's have to wake up 2 or 3 time's during the night to urinate. But sometimes I get the sensation I need to urinate but all I get is a drip. It's an extremely uncomfortable feeling & unable to relax until I've been. Recently went on holiday to Turkey. On the plain for 4 & half hours & I was in the middle seat & I kept getting the need to go to the toilet. I couldn't get rid of the feeling & 4 times I had to go to urinate. Sometimes the feeling doesn't go away after & the only relief is an erection as embarrassing as it sounds.

I never had this until I was diabetic!
You should get yourself checked out you may have prostate problems.
D.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Oooooooo can empathise here. If I go three times I'm having a good night but I average 4 times a night just about every two hours. Wake up tired and never feeling refreshed at all. Have tried not drinking so much waster but then wake up with a headache from dehydration! Anyone got the answer?
You should see your doctor, as there are various possible causes for needing to urinate several times at night.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was on a train commuting to London and got the need-to-go-nothing-happening thing, too many years before T2DM for it to be related. I figured that if I chugged some liquid it might help so I downed a litre of Aqua Libre, then kept sipping water and cranberry juice drink and the sensation lessened and eventually I was able to pee normally so I assumed that I was dehydrated. I had the same thing several years later but not as badly, and since then I have made a real effort to keep hydrated.

I've read that flying is dehydrating and that by the time you feel thirsty, in any situation, you're already dehydrated. With diabetes, it easy to get dehydrated, because the kidneys force you to pee to expel high blood glucose. This removes water that your body would use for other purposes.

Sometimes when we think we're hungry, we're actually thirsty. The majority of people don't take on enough hydrating fluid. Coffee for example, is a diuretic i.e. encourages fluid loss.

I usually drink at least 4 x 500ml bottles of Evian a day and might have 4 quarter pint mugs of tea without milk as well. In hot weather I may have a whole pack of Evian a day.Water hydrates better than anything else and we need it - especially when feeling under the weather or after episodes of nausea or diarrhoea - the nurses bugged me constantly to drink more water when I had food poisoning.

If your blood glucose isn't high and you don't have prostate or kidney problems, the NHS website says the best thing you can do for kidney health is to drink plenty of fluids, especially water.

Whether you have diabetes or not, it can be a difficult thing to adjust to upping your water intake, but the body does adjust quickly and you may well find that you feel better and can see a difference in your skin.

Reactions: 6 people