Diet coke

richard077

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Indian food lamb
Hi is drinking a lot of diet coke bad for diabetes would appreciate any advice thank u

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi is drinking a lot of diet coke bad for diabetes would appreciate any advice thank u
Some say it is, others say it isn't. Some people are sensitive to artificial sweeteners and they seem to feel much better when they avoid them. I seem to have no problems with them and drinking sprite zero seems to stop me feeling too deprived of sweet things while I try to keep my blood sugar down.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I used to drink a lot of diet cola, but have found overall coke zero is actually better for you.
Given that both contain the same sweeteners, and the difference is purely in amounts of flavourings, I suspect that it makes, physiologically at least, very little difference to which is better for you. From a placebo perspective, the word zero might make you feel better. Personally, I rather dislike Coke Zero and would never choose it over Diet Coke.

Reactions: 4 people

Lauraduff92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Given that both contain the same sweeteners, and the difference is purely in amounts of flavourings, I suspect that it makes, physiologically at least, very little difference to which is better for you. From a placebo perspective, the word zero might make you feel better. Personally, I rather dislike Coke Zero and would never choose it over Diet Coke.
Sorry am I not allowed my own opinion?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Sorry am I not allowed my own opinion?
Of course you are allowed your own opinion, and I'm sure that you find Coke Zero better for you personally. My opinion is that Coke Zero is not very nice!

My point was that the statement "Coke Zero is better for you" isn't an opinion, it's a statement of fact that isn't backed up by any evidence.

Reactions: 6 people

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some people don't like artificial sweeteners, but as someone who doesn't like hot drinks, Diet Coke saves me from drinking only water all the time (or booze - but that's less appropriate at work ) which gets very boring very fast!

Reactions: 6 people

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@misswhiplash : work or drinking just water.....???

I generally drink diet pepsi but I'm not fussy so drink diet Coke, Coke zero or what ever diet drinks are available - i do wonder what all the additives and artificial sweeteners are doing to me sometimes, there are people that say aspartame is the work of the devil for one reason or another, but too much of most things will get you in the end so everything in moderation! (Including work!)

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I drank far too much diet coke for years. The aspartame did affect me and even now if I have any I am aware of my kidneys for some time after. I wouldn't go as far as saying I have a pain, but it's a sensation. I know it makes no sense at all but Coke zero (the odd one every 6 months or so) does not do this to me. I fully expected it to because they do have the same ingredients, but it doesn't.

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@misswhiplash : work or drinking just water.....???

I generally drink diet pepsi but I'm not fussy so drink diet Coke, Coke zero or what ever diet drinks are available - i do wonder what all the additives and artificial sweeteners are doing to me sometimes, there are people that say aspartame is the work of the devil for one reason or another, but too much of most things will get you in the end so everything in moderation! (Including work!)

Haha - both

I think the aspartame issue is a difficult one. There have been no studies at all yet that back up the idea that it is harmful (and lots have been done), but there is definitely anecdotal evidence that it may affect some people.

To be honest, since the sugar alternative is clearly going to kill me very quickly, I'm inclined not to worry about the sweeteners too much for now. It may be that there are long term effects, but it doesn't seem to be doing me any harm right now, so I'm happy to take that risk. Others might not be.

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The acid in these drinks can rot your teeth and is a concern for anyone whether they have diabetes or not, but drinking them in moderation should be fine, I use to like Diet Coke but find nowadays they gas me up something awful so only have the occasional drink.

Neemo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unpopular opinion alert...

I was, once a diet coke 'fiend' - 6 cans a day...

Thankfully, I've conquered my addiction - I may indulge a couple of times a year, but daily NO.

Primary reasons I 'gave up' Diet Coke (in favour of water, coffee & Tea) are;

1. TEETH - I value having nice teeth; fizzy drinks are detrimental to tooth health, and as Diabetics, we are far more susceptible to dental issues.. (yes, tea/coffee discolor teeth, BUT they don't contain phosphoric acid..'anecdotal evidence' you say...okày - see below for context.
  2. SLEEP - this isn't exclusively attributable to the caffeine in DC, there are a number of other additives which also disrupt sleep (personally, DC has a huge effect on the quality and quantity of my sleep - I didnt/don't get that quality REM (when drinking DC)
  3. ASPARTAME; so much controversy associated with this artifical substance..maybe its just scaremongering/'hatin'..hmm
Couple of Facts;
  • Interesting how much political activity the Coca Cola Corporation is involved in..I'm NOT a proponent of corporations 'lobbying' goverments (Tobacco companies as a reference. .)
  • Coca Cola spent $119 million dollars on health research over 5 years (source : Guardian)..
Anyone who has any doubt that these huge corporations put out massive amounts of misinformation/'pay off' experts, really need to watch the 'Merchants of Doubt' documentary.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a former Diet Pepsi addict, I drank a minimum of a six pack daily and husband told me that they gave me mood swings. I did give up some years ago but I had worse withdrawal than I did with smoking. Terrible headaches, fell really unwell. Don't drink the stuff now, I take Evian with me everywhere.

katiegirl

The acid in these drinks can rot your teeth and is a concern for anyone whether they have diabetes or not, but drinking them in moderation should be fine, I use to like Diet Coke but find nowadays they gas me up something awful so only have the occasional drink.

I am not replying to anyone in particular. I just want to note that I am a Diet-Coke addict. In the US, they now sell Diet Coke with Splenda instead of aspertame! I choose that sometimes and also, I have noticed that when I drink Diet Coke in the evening, I do have trouble sleeping, So in the evening I opt for Caffeine Free Diet Coke. Apparently, there's a Coke for that! New to the forum, hope to talk more!