CoQ10 dosage

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I am just wondering if anybody out there who are taking statins are also taking CoQ10 (or have taken in the past). I'm just wondering what dose you were taking? My mother who has taken statins for years, really suffers with muscle pain and wonders if CoQ10 might help? There seems to be a lot of positive feedback on the Internet, but no dosage mentioned. Her GP hasn't heard of CoQ10!

Sally66

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Patrick Holford's "Say No to Diabetes" recommends everyone should take it as a supplement but especially those on statins as statins are known to cause deficiency in CoQ10. He recommends between 10-100mg. For those on statins 90mg. Holland and Barratt sell it in 30mg tablets. I take one 30 mg a day but I guess if on statins that's 3 a day. As for your Mother's GP never hearing of it - well I'm not that surprised. Hope that helps.

Reactions: 2 people

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Patrick Holford's "Say No to Diabetes" recommends everyone should take it as a supplement but especially those on statins as statins are known to cause deficiency in CoQ10. He recommends between 10-100mg. For those on statins 90mg. Holland and Barratt sell it in 30mg tablets. I take one 30 mg a day but I guess if on statins that's 3 a day. As for your Mother's GP never hearing of it - well I'm not that surprised. Hope that helps.

I'd read dosages that varies as much as that, that's why she's not sure how much to take.

Sally66

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
He says 90 mg a day if on statins. 3 x 30mg tablets. That's one with every meal.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
The lack of informaton on CoQ10 dosage may be related to the relative lack of large scale human trials on it. These kinds of studies are important for telling us how effective and safe a substance is, and at what dosages.

Personally, I think before starting a statin I would look closely at my triglyceride, HDL and LDL levels before deciding to take a medication that seems to be prescribed more often than is necessary, and is associated with the risk of significant side effects. The evidence for the value of statins is much weaker for women than it is for men too.

Reactions: 2 people