A year after being diagnosed.

Sco81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
It's a year on from when I found out I was diabetic.
I've learnt a lot about myself as well as my illness. Also learnt a lot about family, friends and doctors etc. U learn quick who is their for u and who isn't.

I thought that I would just cope with it from tho go, like it was no big deal. It will all work out!
Basically was in denial about the whole thing. It actually hit me about 6 months in that it's not just gonna go away. I have to deal with it.
I started in just metformin. 1 twice a day I'm now on 2 metformin and 2 glitgazide twice a day. And in my blood sugars went from 58 to 78 since taking the medication. The doctor now thinks insulin is the best option. So will be starting on that early December.
I used to think that I was unlucky and it wasn't fair blah blah blah! But there is always someone worse off.
Life has been a ride since I was born. It's the experiences we have that make us. Getting this is just an experience. Would be good to hear others stories of their first year with diabetes.

Reactions: 4 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Can you let us know your BMI and what sort of diet you are having. Gliclazide is normally prescribed if your body's insulin production needs stimulating. It can cause weight gain if the dose is too high and you are eating too many carbs. Do have a low-carb diet and it your blood sugar and weight are too high it should help bring them both down. Insulin may be the right option but if you have excess weight you can get into a vicious circle so do reduce any excess weight first thru diet.

Sco81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I've been a chef my whole life. I eat healthy low carb foods. I'm 34 years old. I go to the gym 4 times a week. Plus my job is physically demanding so I'm in good shape. I'm 6,4 and well built so my weight is high but not because I'm over weight. Sadly this illness runs in my family. So I've had a lifetime to learn about it etc.

Stephsk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It's a year on from when I found out I was diabetic.
I've learnt a lot about myself as well as my illness. Also learnt a lot about family, friends and doctors etc. U learn quick who is their for u and who isn't.

I thought that I would just cope with it from tho go, like it was no big deal. It will all work out!
Basically was in denial about the whole thing. It actually hit me about 6 months in that it's not just gonna go away. I have to deal with it.
I started in just metformin. 1 twice a day I'm now on 2 metformin and 2 glitgazide twice a day. And in my blood sugars went from 58 to 78 since taking the medication. The doctor now thinks insulin is the best option. So will be starting on that early December.
I used to think that I was unlucky and it wasn't fair blah blah blah! But there is always someone worse off.
Life has been a ride since I was born. It's the experiences we have that make us. Getting this is just an experience. Would be good to hear others stories of their first year with diabetes.
Hi I was diagnosed with T1, 18 months ago at the age of 41. Spent 4 days in hospital ( Friday- Mon as no consultant!) with severe ketoacidosis, I'd lost nearly 2 stone but was in denial of my symptoms. I was like you and it probably didn't really hit me until about 6 months in. I think it was coping with all it entailed- the carb counting, the injections, the hypos and having to be so careful when I drink alcohol, I wasn't thinking long term but the absolute realisation that this is it for the rest of my life hit hard. I'm so lucky though, I have an amazing husband, family and friends and though I've been told, I may still be in honeymoon phase, I do find it, for the most part, easy to maintain my BG. You're right- there are folk far worse off!
Good luck with everything and don't worry about the insulin injections. Before I was allowed to leave hospital my lovely DN told me- don't think about it- just do it! I remember that every injection!

Reactions: 3 people