Lows especially in crowded places

Simranp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi! I have lows quite often, but they seem to be very different when in a crowded place. Normally I just begin sweating when i'm having a hypo. When I am at a party or any crowded place it feels as if I'm almost fainting when I'm having a low. I can't stand straight anymore and people literally have to hold me and bring me somewhere to sit. Also a total blackout. Can't here or see anything clearly. It has been like that for the past 2 months whereas I'm already 2 years diabetic, but this never used to happen. Does anybody know why this is happening and how to prevent it?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hiya - sorry to hear about your hypos, the can be crippling at the best of times, however with some tweaking they can be sorted.
Having them indicates one or 2 things, either your taking too much insulin or not eating enough carbs. I used to have them in supermarkets and used to think it was the bright lights, too much thinking and of course exercising running around the store, I still go get them from time to time but try to shop when i've just eaten or if i'm feeling confident that my levels are stable and not falling.

Are you testing regularly ? Regular testing can predict if your starting to fall so you can take some glucogel, jelly babies and bring your levels back up.

What insulin regime are you on ? Do you take multiple daily injections and are you carb counting ?

Also are you under the wing of a consultant or nurse to consult further ?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If you test when feeling faint in crowded places what are your bg readings like, it could well be your having a panic attack if you handle your hypo's fine at other times.

Simranp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My readings are between 1.5-3.5. Yes it might be, but is the panick attack then because of the diabetes or is it not even linked to it?

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
at 1.5 you can easy pass out into a coma at 3.5 you should not be. How long have you had diabetes?

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hiya my bloods do this In crowds however even before diabetes I would collapse in small spaces. It's a little panic for me but mainly because I become too hot the adrenaline kicks in and my big drops quick. For me I just stay calm as possible and wear clothes that won't increase the heat or make me hot I.e cotton. I Kai test more and drink more fluids really helps with maybe something to eat just before I go u to like a concert. Don't know if that helps

Reactions: 2 people

Adam29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get this sometimes too - I start to feel really Claustrophobia and have to leave the store to then treat the hypo. I think it intensifies the feeling of having a hypo. It's a very weird sensation!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My readings are between 1.5-3.5. Yes it might be, but is the panick attack then because of the diabetes or is it not even linked to it?

Who can say and only you know how you feel in social situations @Simranp

Normally stress has the opposite effect and increases bg levels but as Fayefaye says above this isn't always the case and it can have the opposite effect, next time you go to a party you can try taking some preventive measures such as reducing your previous bolus dose or by eating some extra carbs beforehand, better still have a chat with your diabetes team and see if they can suggest anything.

alaska

Getting down to 1.5 mmol/l is very low. You will need to work on this by:

a) Trying to prevent the hypos happening in the first place
b) Trying to spot the hypos earlier

b) will be more difficult if you struggle to spot hypo signs but many of us can train ourselves to be at least a bit more aware of hypo signs.

It's not pleasant when a bad hypo hits all of a sudden. Most people can beat this with dedication. I had poor hypo awareness for a number of years but got my hypo awareness back.

Joining the hypo program might be good for you as it includes help in spotting signs and preventing hypos from happening.
http://hypoglycemia.uk/

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mindfulness helps me to identify diabetic signs many because it's about getting in tune with your body but that's just mr

Reactions: 2 people