CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I agree 100% + with your post @tim2000s

Please do something to help yourself before it's to late for you Ryan. Life is very short and you are a long time dead as the saying goes.

Reactions: 3 people

iHs

Interesting I wonder if I am suffering some kind of motor neuropathic defect then which is causing these problems but I am not sure

I might be wrong here Ryan but I somehow suspect that your problem is due to too many low bg levels accompanied by large rises after eating food and not getting the balance correct with the basal or the bolus which can be sorted by counting the carb a bit more correctly, logging the carb eaten down, bg testing every 2.5hrs and writing the bolus down and altering it to achieve good bg targets. Look at the NICE bg targets and use 6mmol before eating, rising to 8.5mmol 2.5hrs later, then returning to 5 to 6mmol again by the time 4hrs has gone by.

Google Ataxia and hypoglycaemia and you'll see how the brain becomes affected giving an unsteady gait and can also create a stiffness of movement and create a spastic type look to how someone holds their arms and positions their feet.

Reactions: 7 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I might be wrong here Ryan but I somehow suspect that your problem is due to too many low bg levels accompanied by large rises after eating food and not getting the balance correct with the basal or the bolus which can be sorted by counting the carb a bit more correctly, logging the carb eaten down, bg testing every 2.5hrs and writing the bolus down and altering it to achieve good bg targets. Look at the NICE bg targets and use 6mmol before eating, rising to 8.5mmol 2.5hrs later, then returning to 5 to 6mmol again by the time 4hrs has gone by.

Google Ataxia and hypoglycaemia and you'll see how the brain becomes affected giving an unsteady gait and can also create a stiffness of movement and create a spastic type look to how someone holds their arms and positions their feet.

I too think iHs is right here... You seriously need to raise your levels as all the others are also pointing out... Please do as others have suggested before trying to find other illnesses to blame. You have to eliminate the diabetes problems with hypo's before GPs/hospitals could consider other things. Please eliminate the hypo's.

ryan1990

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@tim2000s how will brain damage occur and also how could death occur ? would it be in the form of a collapse and then coma or could it happen almost instantaneously ? how can i avoid the 2.1 lows when i simply cannot feel them ? also i had better control today i only had two lows today the rest of the day my sugars were in check my insulin levels were 12 in the morning (which was a little too much as the low occurred 2 hours after ) 8 at dinner which was enough i was 4.5 2 hours after lunch and unfortunately at dinner i took 15 units and then my reading was 2.1 i guess i am getting there slowly i always make sure my sugars are about 7.6 or 8.8 before bed so i will avoid hypo in the night so i guess thats one risk of death taken off the count

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ryan you are taking far to much insulin for your meal bolus that's why you are going so low.

iHs

@tim2000s how will brain damage occur and also how could death occur ? would it be in the form of a collapse and then coma or could it happen almost instantaneously ? how can i avoid the 2.1 lows when i simply cannot feel them ? also i had better control today i only had two lows today the rest of the day my sugars were in check my insulin levels were 12 in the morning (which was a little too much as the low occurred 2 hours after ) 8 at dinner which was enough i was 4.5 2 hours after lunch and unfortunately at dinner i took 15 units and then my reading was 2.1 i guess i am getting there slowly i always make sure my sugars are about 7.6 or 8.8 before bed so i will avoid hypo in the night so i guess thats one risk of death taken off the count

The way to avoid the lows is to bg test every 2hrs and if under 6mmol before a main meal, eat 5-10g glucose first and then eat food and bolus or deduct 5-10g carb from the bolus for food, so eat example 20g carb but bolus for 10 or 15g How much you deduct depends a bit on how low you have gone below yr bg targets. If below 8mmol 2hrs after eating food with bolus, eat 5-10g to prevent going low. A lot of bg testing trial and error and making adjustments and logging everything down so that you can see where you are going right and wrong.

ryan1990

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't be taking the wrong amounts of insluin because if I don't take that my sugars are chronically high would rather be low than high tbh causes me alot more pain and damage when my blood sugars are high that's why I was saying the ratios don't work because I take large ratio of insluin and it seems to control me ok

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@ryan1990 Hypoglycaemia starves the brain of fuel. When glucose levels get very low, without fuel the cells start to die. Dying brain cells, presumably neurons, have been reported following episodes of hypoglycemia at plasma glucose levels of 1.7–1.9 mmol/l (30–35 mg/dl), and death of brain cells is brain damage. Prolonged periods of very low blood glucose <1.2 have shown that this can cause brain death.

The other consequence of low blood glucose levels has been on the cardiovascular system and has caused heart arrhythmia, which can lead to a heart attack.

You can't feel the lows because you have spent so long low. Aim for an average of about 7 and try to avoid the ups and downs.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I can't be taking the wrong amounts of insluin because if I don't take that my sugars are chronically high would rather be low than high tbh causes me alot more pain and damage when my blood sugars are high that's why I was saying the ratios don't work because I take large ratio of insluin and it seems to control me ok
Slight problem Ryan you are not controlling your diabetes.
As we have all said to you before, sort out your basal (long acting) first, then your bolus amount.
It's very obvious that you are having far to much bolus because of the times you are going hypo.

We are trying to help you stay out of a grave but there is only so much we can do. You have to wake up before it's to late and help yourself.

Reactions: 2 people

ryan1990

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yeah i understand this but it is difficult believe me i am trying but until the doctor gets off his backside and actually starts taking notice of *** is going on with me i dont think it will change as my pancreas either has a tumor giving rise to the reason why im constantly low or my body is struggling with controlling it and dosent ever want to stay level no matter what i do its always up and down

Edited to remove inappropriate language.

Last edited by a moderator:

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The reason you are up and down is because you are not listening to what we are telling you.

You are on far to much insulin so you go hypo then over treat the hypo so go high. Classic case of a yoyo.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Ryan

A doctor cannot fix you in a 10-30 min appt.
You must realise that you must be responsible for trying to help yourself. You aren't at the moment. You've had such a lot of advice from folk here but have not appeared to have taken any of it...

Currently, reading posts here my personal opinion is that you have not taken any advice here from really, really good, experienced and knowledgeable diabetics that have managed many of life's **** that's thrown at us.

You seem to be wanting a consultant to wave a magic wand in 30 mins when he or she just won't be able to do that...

You are now talking about a tumour... What on earth are you reading or looking at to make you think this?

Ryan. Please. None of us are superb constant levels without putting in tremendous effort and learning..we have all had to work incredibly hard on a personal daily basis to get the understanding of what our own individual bodies need.

Please just read back and start trying some of the advice you have been given...

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It is good that you have given us so much information about blood sugars and insulin doses because now it is possible to see the problem better. I agree that your bolus doses are too high. But I see your point that 2 hours after your meal your blood sugar reading is right. However, at that point almost half the insulin you have taken is still active, so your blood sugar is still on the way down.
The way to deal with this is to drop your dose, but take it earlier, that is, leave twenty minutes between your bolus injection and your meal. That way the meal and insulin hit your bloodstream at more nearly the same time, and there isn't so much spare active insulin floating around to make you go hypo three to four hours after the meal.

Reactions: 6 people

ryan1990

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ok thank you i will try and see if i can get better control from what i have read thank you to everyone who posted

iHs

Hi Ryan

If you live on yr own, try to keep the amount of carb that you eat at a set amount of about 30g for each meal and as Ruth has said, do the bolus using a ratio about 20 to 30 mins earlier providing that you are not going a bit low. If you do go low, eat some glucose as that is short lived and shouldn't affect a rise in bg for long like carb does. Remember the bg targets you need to calculate yr bolus to.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Ryan

If you live on yr own, try to keep the amount of carb that you eat at a set amount of about 30g for each meal and as Ruth has said, do the bolus using a ratio about 20 to 30 mins earlier providing that you are not going a bit low. If you do go low, eat some glucose as that is short lived and shouldn't affect a rise in bg for long like carb does. Remember the bg targets you need to calculate yr bolus to.
Slight problem Ryan is on set doses of insulin, so I suspect he is not counting carbs at all.

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Ryan...aaw mate. i feel for you. I think the previous posts are probably right and perhaps you are taking too much insulin and hypo'ing too often. Have you ever asked your diabetic clinic for CGM to see what your sugars are doing? If you are hypo unaware, then you can get funding for a Dexcom.
Im on CGM. Its just a tiny patch on my arm.
Perhaps start off with taking a couple of units less insulin with each meal. You levemir seems ok.
My suggestion to you is to aim for levels of 6 - 7.5
4's are too low. Its only .7 away from hypo figures.

How old are you and how long have you been a type 1? What I have found is.... when youngsters are growing, they have spurts of GH and most times due to hormones, you need more insulin. Then...as you age.... there are less spouts of GH and other hormones so you do need to adjust your insulin.

iHs

Slight problem Ryan is on set doses of insulin, so I suspect he is not counting carbs at all.

Right I see......... All this isn't Ryans fault then, it's down to the advice given by the HCPs where they think that using a ratio isn't needed and just adjust the carb to the action of the basal/bolus. Might be so much easier for Ryan to use twice daily insulin and use the occasional bolus for any meals that are really high in carb. There......sorted;)

Reactions: 4 people

ryan1990

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thank you yeah i will try and increase my rate of control however it is proving difficult i am having less hypos now but i still can't work out why my sugars are still dropping to 2.1 and so on I'm currently taking 11 units in morning 7 in afternoon and 15 in evening as i find i am constantly high in evenings if i don't take this i am also trying to carb count but its difficult when portions sizes vary when eating out i went for pizza the other night and took 16 units but didn't take into account white flour is a slow releasing carb so come half 3 in the morning my sugar was 13.5 the spasticity in my legs is pretty much there all the time but the body cramps and aching is worse when sugars are high and the foot drop and spastic movements in my limbs happens only when I'm low which is confusing :(

ryan1990

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@iHs @Omnipod could constant lows be caused by a tumor ? and how does the two insluin injections work and how would i use basal for meals ? iv had diabities for 7 years now I'm currently taking 11 units in morning 7 at mid day and 15 in evening and 16 levmir at night i am trying my best to manage my lows however i have severe hypo unawareness i feel fine but then my sugars are 2.4 or something silly its very frustrating