Soup / Stew / Puree Recipes

Dixiechick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I have the utmost joy of having major dental surgery in just under two weeks time. The upshot is that I am going to be on a liquid diet for quite a while afterwards.
I know that pureed/blended vegetables aren't ideal on the sugar front, but I'm going to have to resort to that, and would like to keep it as low carb as possible.
Does anyone have any recipe ideas?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You don't necessarily need a recipe, you can make all sorts of low carb soups with suitable veggies blended with stock, cream/sour cream and various herbs and/or spices. The cream will slowdown/reduce any possible spiking from the veggies. You just need to avoid conventional thickening agents to keep it low carb, but usually I find that particularly if you've make your own chicken stock, that and the puree keep it thick enough. But perhaps try sesame flour too, as this is high protein so should help keep up your protein intake.. Think about spinach with nutmeg served sprinkled with parmesan, chicken and mushroom, cauliflower and blue cheese, tomato and basil, celery, asparagus....

I've also taken the juices for the spaghetti bolognaise sauce to use as soup, but you could just blend the whole lot and you've got another meaty soup.

But check in our low carb recipes and "What have you eaten today?" threads to more ideas. And I'm also tagging @Brunneria who can tell you about her green smoothies.

My late mother (for some strange non medical reason!) decided to have all her teeth out in one go, and actually ate pureed baby food while her gums healed, so as long as there's no added sugar, this might be another option?

Robbity