High BS in the morning.

craig0121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have started a lo carb diet as my bloods were in the high teens. I have had my meds changed and next step is insulin that I am very afraid of.
So my daytime BS are good but my fasting morning ones are still in 12s plus I am just wondering as I have my last meal at 1700 should I be having a snack or something before bed. I go to bed about 10pm and get up anytime between 5 and 7 am.

Kojo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have a similar problem with my morning bs. My bs is reasonably controlled during the day ie 6.2 two hours after breakfast, 7.5-9 after lunch and 7-8 before bedtime. But strangely it never falls below 7 in the morning as I expected. I amT2 and on oral medication Glucovance 500/5 twice a day. I have used it for 5 years now. Until recently I used to have morning bs always below 7 but not these days even though I haven't changed my diet.

Reactions: 2 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It might be worth having a snack before bed just to see if it has any effect on your FBG, it cant.do any harm and you wont know until you try.

Reactions: 2 people

craig0121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did try only taking my starlix at tea time and taking my metformin at 8pm it didn't make any difference really. So will try a snak before bed and see what happens.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Craig, what kind of foods are you eating? If we knew I think it might be helpful, as they might not be as low carb as you think they are. Insulin isn't the end of the world but if it can be avoided, it's probably better. What is it that you are afraid of exactly? Let's see if we can help you sort it out.

craig0121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
First thing meds. I take metformin 500mg and starlix 120mg both 3 times a day.
Food I'm eating is bacon ham pork chops steak chicken mushrooms cauliflower cheese cucumber onion apples eggs and pork scratchings that are 2.4 grams of carbs per bag. No more than 1 bag a day. A typical day food for me is.

Breakfast. An apple or mushroom omelet or ham and cheese

Dinner. Lettuce onion cucumber ham and a bag of scratchings

Tea Chop steak with cauliflower green beans

That's about all I'm eating as I don't really like any other salad or vegetables I love fruit but was advised not to have too much due to the natural sugar content.

I suffer really bad with anxiety don't leave the house alone cannot let anyone take me anywhere as I have to drive and be in control can't get a bus or taxi or let anyone drive me. Or be in control of my life or safety. I also suffer with severe depression so insulin scares me as I could not cope with the complications that it brings on. Also car insurance price rise applying for driving licence every years

craig0121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Also suffer with insomnia I get about 3 hours sleep a day.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also suffer with insomnia I get about 3 hours sleep a day.
Are you taking a statin? Just that quite a few people on the forum have mentioned insomnia as being a side effect of statins.

High morning BG can be caused by the stress hormones prior to waking (if you search for dawn phenomenon it will give you an explanation) - I can only imagine that if you have insomnia, your stress hormones would have to be affected and maybe even exaggerating the dawn phenomen effect even further.

craig0121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No I don't take any statins.
My bs were 9.8 this morning It is going down slowly. I did have a cup of tea and a portion of Aldi's 85% dark chocolate around 9 pm.
I did only start this diet on Monday so not even a week yet. I am also doing a 2 mile walk on the treadmill as I used to do a 5 or 6 mile jog a day a few years ago witch I do know was helping with my BG level.
I just have to get myself into the mindset of look after your body and it will look after you.
I'm so lucky that I have the opportunity and strength to start looking after my self again. I just hope that I don't fall of the wagon as Christmas is such a bad time of year for me with my depression.