New pumper- Help

novowolf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey lads hope everyone is well.
Quick bit of advice needed. I started my insulin pump about 3 weeks ago and have a bit of a dilemma right now.. Tested at about midnight and it was 17.3 so took a correction with my pump and checked again half anhour later . 17.6 so correction with pen set change and 50% increase temp basal rate. just checked again 5 mins ago and its up again to 21. 4. ketones arent in the danger zone (0.2) although its not moving. i dont feel particularly unwell or anything i just dont know what to do as the couple of times this has happened before its resolved itself.
Any n any ideas what should b doing?
Thanks guys
Novowolf

laura149

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hmmm...I'm wondering if your infusion set has failed. That's happened to me a few times, either because the tubing under the skin has kinked, or I've not changed my set as frequently as I should. I would suggest changing your infusion set. Check the end of the tube when you remove it, if it's bent that's your problem.

Oh, also make sure the connections are all correct. I'm on a Medtronic pump and there have been a few times that I haven't fully snapped the connector back in place after removing my pump. Such a simple, silly thing, but I've chased situations like the one you're dealing with for hours without checking that my pump is connected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Change everything. Do a jab by pen.

Reactions: 6 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Have you actually got any insulin in your tubing? I would also check to make sure your insulin is ok. Being that high would also make you insulin resistant so would I suspect take a little while for your numbers to come down.

novowolf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all the advice guys :) I changed my set again and took another pen jag and came down nicely and everything has been fine so far today :D Panic over lads carry on!

Reactions: 5 people