1st 3 month check up

vonbon1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being sick 24/7
Hya everyone, just wanted to share this. I had my 1st 3 month check up this morning, obviously I haven't got the results yet but my experience just blew me away. :D

I was expecting the nurse to tell me I was doing it all wrong, last time I spoke to her she insisted that I eat starchy carbs at every meal. but she was so pleased with me it was unreal. said if it works for me thats great.
I've lost 32lbs in 11 weeks WOOOOOHOOOO, sorry just had to do that lol I've been struggling to lose weight for so long and low carbbing seems to be working for me.

She gave me lots more information, she told me she has been given new packs on treatment and is like a dog with a bone, telling everyone who'll listen about diabetes.
So it looks like the NHS is finally listening to patients, not before time either but at least it's happening which can only be good for us.

On the down side I have to go on statins, not sure I should but she say's it's for my protection, I asked a few questions about them and agreed to give them a try.

LOW CARBS WORKS FOLKS.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Tron2112

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How did you do VonBon?

I got my results today. At diagnosis in January HbA1c was 67. Three months on it's 44 and I've lost a stone and a half.

Woooo! :D

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Well done vonbon, do a bit of research before you go on statins tho'. Just an opinion, but even the americans are beginning to doubt their efficacy. Read the cholesterol con, and blood sugar 101. Statins can cause amonst things memory loss, muscle loss, panic attacks. Also the body produces its own cholesterol for a reason. The brain is surrounded by the stuff. Oh nd if that wasn't all they can cause diabetes.

vonbon1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being sick 24/7
Sorry for delay in replying ladies, I haven't been able to get into the site, some problem or other thanks to Giverny sorted it for me today.
Anyway my readings after my 1st 3 month check up. 44. I am so pleased with that result.
Now 2 stone 9lbs down :D has slowed down but at least I'm still losing so can't complain.

Dawn I have looked into statins as my man is on them. he had a stroke in April last year, some of the side effects have been awful for him. he was told to come off them for 3 weeks and when he went back to GP they gave him a different statin, which on reading the leaflet will give him worse side effects and also say do not take if you have had a stroke. some one somewhere is going to get a piece of my mind. :***:

I have no intentions of going on statins, the nurse threatened me with them last year, coming up on 50 fast lol but I have told her I will not take them. I see them as a mass medication for the people. might be a little over the top but that's just my humble opinion.

I'm still doing low carb diet, getting severely bore of chicken salad but it's all I can stomach just now. that and my home made butternut squash soup.

Haven't eaten dinner for a couple of days, just haven't been hungry. so today I should enjoy my chicken salad lol

hope you're both well. xx

vonbon1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being sick 24/7
Hi Tron Well done. thats great news. how have you managed to get there?

Tron2112

Type of diabetes
Type 2
vonbon1 said:
Hi Tron Well done. thats great news. how have you managed to get there?

Hi vonbon,

A few things helped:
Going lower carb (about 150 to 200 g per day - for me that's way lower than pre-diagnosis)
Using myfitnesspal to record food
Cutting out sugary drinks and snacks (I couldn't stop eating before)
Testing everything
Metformin

A great result like 44 early on can give a false sense of security, and since then I've been slipping up: not testing as regularly, drinking beer and not recording food in myfitnesspal anymore. I need to get back on the program!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App