1st Post-Hospital Consultant Visit

LouiHolmes

Hi all,

I am going to see the consultant in a weeks time.

I have my blood tests to do this week and a presume samples of other things.

What am I to expect? What is it they're generally looking for?

I do speak my mind and won't lie about exactly how I've been coping and any lifestyle changes I've made.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Loui

EL DUDERINO

Hi LouiHolmes,

Having worked in healthcare several years ago, I can only say that telling them the truth, warts and all, is the only way to deal with them.
If you sugar-coat the truth about your diet, control or your insulin regime then the only person your harming is yourself.

Generally it's not that often I get to see my consultant, often I only see them if I have a problem my local team can't solve, so when I get access to the top guy I make the most of it!
If there's something that's been niggling you for a while, perhaps you don't understand then this is the perfect time to get an expert opinion and advice on it...
Being armed with a good few weeks of Blood Test data helps their job and judgements too.

Have you had a problem that they've made a referral to the consultant for? Something like unexplained Hypos or high BG readings maybe?

There's nothing to be apprehensive about, most consultants are actually decent people and quite willing to help where they can...after all it's in their interests too, to have you understanding your condition and being well controlled with performance monitoring in the NHS!