7 year old son Type 1

catrina78

Hi i,m new to chat forums and am just finding my way.

I was looking for some advice regarding my son. he is 7yrs old and was diagnosed type 1, 18months ago. He is usually well controlled but we are having some unusal high bs readings this last few days. He is waking up in the high teens or twenties. which is being carried throughout the day as well. we carb count and we have been giving him an extra unit with each meal. and have put up his bosal dose as well with no result. We brought him for a long swim yesterday as that usually would work but he came out of the water at 15.6. he is feeling great and is not sick in any way. has anyone any advice or have had any experience in this . usually i extra unit would usually correct his bs by 5mols and so far he is getting an totally extra 4 units a day.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi Catrina,
some things to think about, perhaps he is coming down with an infection but doesn't feel unwell yet. Or is there any chance one or both of his insulin's have a fault? Is the fridge working ok? Another avenue to look at is his pens, are you 100% sure they are delivering properly? Last option I can think of is your lad into a growth spurt? This will make his blood sugars higher.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Hi, my son is 5. I was thinking all of the above as well. Have you weighed/measured him to see how much he might have grown. The weather could be a factor. My son is always on a couple of units less in Summer than Winter. It might be worth checking that he hasn't been hypo in the night and rebounded up. I'd try to correct overnight while he isn't eating so that I could start the day with a normal blood sugar and try and pin point where the rises are coming from. He's not snacking on something that you don't know about? Are you on needles or pumping? I will mostly give insulin according to the meter and follow whatever trend is going at the time. Mostly 1 unit Novorapid will drop my son 8mmol but other times it could be between 5 and 10mmol. Hope he hasn't come down with a cold or anything since you posted. All the best.

StephAjcm

Hi! I'm new here too. My son will be 7 in July and was diagnosed in May 2010 - so fairly similar.

He is on 2 injections a day of mixed insulin so think it is different but I find he can be going along at good levels then suddenly they go through the roof for a bit and then the next week at school he is suffering hypos mid-morning! I noticed a difference when we suddenly had a really cold spell the other week. I think with kids so much can affect them, happy, sad, stressed, worried, excited, growing, weather .... that sometimes it is really tricky to tell! I just tend to see how it is going for a week and then change his insulin and see if that works. I always think he seems to be a bit of the high side but at the moment his consultant is still happy with him so I try not to worry too much!

Hope you managed to get it back to normal x