A New Name for Diabetes PLEASE!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
You know we are ALL diabetics.Why should we change the name? Be loud and proud! Whether your a diet controlled,DCD ,medicine controlled,MCD ,or an insulin controlled,ICD,we are all battling and controlling a disease which we did not ask for but we have a chance to live with as best we can.
I AM A DIABETIC.

sixfoot

I think im with you on this one sue, what its called is something for vanity - far better devote the energy and resource to controlling and living with it.

Dave P

lionrampant

How about we just throw any fat diabetics off the London Eye - that way we can say "see, we're all skinny buggers but we have diabetes!".

Or is that one a non-starter?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Don't really fancy being chucked off the London eye!Can I get chucked off Edinburgh castle ramparts instead please?

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
sixfoot said:
I think im with you on this one sue, what its called is something for vanity - far better devote the energy and resource to controlling and living with it.

Dave P

The point of the original post was the public being fed a simplistic mass media view that diabetes is caused by being fat. WE know we're not all fat and we have shared issues, but try listening to Radio/TV/online news as if you know nothing about diabetes and see what impression you come away with.
Sue

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
LittleSue said:
sixfoot said:

Dave P

The point of the original post was the public being fed a simplistic mass media view that diabetes is caused by being fat. WE know we're not all fat and we have shared issues, but try listening to Radio/TV/online news as if you know nothing about diabetes and see what impression you come away with.
Sue

Quite true,Sue.Unfortunately once the mass hysteria,sorry ,media get a hold of something then it is nearly impossible to change them.They tend to stereotypicalise everything to it's lowest common denominator.

sixfoot

i stand by my original posting, the baying mob ( for want of a better phrase) wont often be swayed, Especially when they are getting official support in the form of medical advice.To that end its a bit like learning to swim. If your not swimming the chances are your sinking.

In case your interested i learned to swim in the harbour at COWES iow (by accident) :)

Dave P

Leosrme

I for one NEVER refer to myself as "a diabetic". :roll: This infers that all there is to me is diabetes. I am alot of things and A Diabetic does not describe who I am. I am a person who has diabetes and ths is always how I refer to it.

In my younger days, my diabetes ruled my lfe and made it miserable. Once I decided to take control and not let IT run me, then life changed for the better.