Adjusting Bolus on a pump

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
do I change my I:C carb ratio by 1g at a time ie 1U:15g currently down to 1U:14? or do I reduce it more?

How long prior to eating do others wait after 'pumping' to eat? getting seriopusly frustrated at the moment, going into the red much more than I want to (>14.4) :|

iHs

Engineer88 said:
do I change my I:C carb ratio by 1g at a time ie 1U:15g currently down to 1U:14? or do I reduce it more?

How long prior to eating do others wait after 'pumping' to eat? getting seriopusly frustrated at the moment, going into the red much more than I want to (>14.4) :|

When you do your correction using the 1:15g ratio and you get a bg level of 14.4mmol, is this 2hrs after eating or 3hrs?

Its early days yet for you but try to think about doing a basal test for a few hours just to see if the hourly basal rates are correct or not.

Pumps are hard work a times and there's probably nothing that you are going to go through that someone else hasn't rexperienced..

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My overnight is very stable (minor changes) which is why I think the bolus needs adjusting. Over 14 is happening all over not just post meal but ive been around 14 since about 12.30 today (had porridge at 11 am so that would be 2 hours post.)

Before I started eating I had dropped down to about 8.

Its either I:C or ICD one or other isnt right. infact i dont think either are i seem to be correcting all the time.

iHs

Ideally, you need to do a basal test during the day just to see if the basal rates are ok or not.

For the meantime though so that you are not going high all the time, try altering the carb ratio to 1:10g carb just to see if things are better...... the worst that can happen is that you might find yourself going a tiny bit low and you can then eat a small amount of carb as a snack (10g) if the low comes 2hrs after the bolus or if its a bit later, then you can get away with just 2 jellybabies as the bolus will be running out and jellybabies are quick and short acting.
If 1:10g is too much insulin, you can then alter it to 1:12g

Personally, I found that my insulin to carb ratios that I used on MDI were more or less correct. So instead of using 1:20g, I just kept altering the bolus and came back in the end to using the MDI ratios which were 1:8g and just elaborated a bit on those.

Remember that the more insulin you use in your bolus and corrections, then the more that your correction factor will change so add it all up and whatever it comes to, divide the new total into 100 and have a go at using that... Try and keep your daily carb intake more or less the same every day for a while so don't go eating 100g one day and then another eat 150g as the change in carb amount unfortunately also changes the carb ratio like eating 30g carb I can use 1:8g but if I eat 50g carb then the 1:8g isn't correct and I end up going a bit low so for me if I eat more carb than usual, I need to alter the ratio to 1:10 and not 1:8