adjusting work hours

lacroix

Hi Folks,

I need some advice and help if possible. I have been diagnose with diabetes type 1 January 2011 and is still new to me. I am doing my best to stay positive about it and do not give up ;) However, I came to the point that I am struggling with my sugar control due to changing work hours. I am working as part of Customer Service team and we have to cover phones between 8:30 and 5:30 with 0,5 lunch time (so we are doing 3 shifts: 8:30-4:30, 9:00-5:00 and 9:30-5:30). I have noticed that my sugars are stable when I am doing shift 8:30-4:30. I have asked my employer if I could stick to this shift due to keeping my diabetes well controlled. I have been covering all 3 shifts for about 1 year and at the moment I can see that the best for me is the morning one.

I had meeting with my line manager to see how it can be sorted and he sounds very positive about it and told me that he couldn't see it being an issue, however, he wanted to double check it first with our Ops Manager. Today he called me in and told me that company wants to discuss it with me further on Friday. He told me that it would be give-take solution and he hopes that my salary won't be affected ;( I am not sure what is going on there ;( I am bit concerned now. Sounds that because I asked for changing my hours, they will shred my wage ;( I am still doing the same amount of hours and my performance never been affected by my sickness.

What is the best - another member of team is doing set shift 9:30-5:30 due to having a problem in getting to work on time. His wage is not affected and he is all the time late :(

I am not sure how I should prepare for my meeting with Ops Manager and HR ;(

Can you please advise what my options are?

Thank you for all your help!!!

alaska

Have I got this right that there's half an hour's difference between the different shifts?

However, I came to the point that I am struggling with my sugar control due to changing work hours.

Can you give a bit more info about how the changing work hours affect your control?

What levels do you get and when, for instance on the earlier shift and what levels do you get and when for the later shifts?

When is the meeting with your Ops Manager and HR scheduled for?

Stay positive throughout and focus on how you can work with (as opposed against) the company. Be on the look out for opportunities whereby your needs and the company's needs can effectively agree.

I hope it works out ok :)

All the best
Ed

lacroix

Hi Ed,
Thank you for your answer. I know that is only 0.5hour difference between those shifts, however, if I am leaving at 5pm I am always stock in rush hours traffic ;( and I have to delay my afternoon meal. Once I get it late I have to delay my evening meal ;( which means I am going sleep very late. I have to start day quite early to have my morning meal on time.

Once I am following my regime times my blood sugar levels are ok:
First thing in the morning: between 4.1 and 5.3 (5.30am)
Before 2nd breakfast: between 4.4 and 5.7 (9:30am) - coming to office at 8am
before lunch: between 4.0 and 5.8 (1:30pm)
before afternoon meal: 4.2 and 5.5 (5:30 pm)
before evening meal: 4.5 and 6.0 (9:30pm)

these are readings when I am doing 8:30 and 4:30 shift.

When I am on 9am-5pm shift, some how I am getting a lots of hypos and hypers eating the same food and taking the same amount of units.

First thing in the morning: between 3.4 and 7.3 (6.30am)
Before 2nd breakfast: between 4.4 and 5.7 (10:30am) - have to delay it due to later start (coming to office at 9am)
before lunch: between 2.0 and 11.8 (2:30pm) - the same story have to have a meal later the normal
before afternoon meal: 3.2 and 15.5 (6:30pm - 7pm)
before evening meal: 3.0 and 10.7 (10:30pm - 11pm)
+ hypos during night, not mentioning that I am not having enough sleep due to hypos ;( bit depressed as well.

I was trying to reduce long acting insulin, but is not much help. Sometimes I can see knock on effect day later. Due to hypos I am extremely tired and can work to effectively. I am really annoyed as I am a hard working individual and I love my job and those jumping sugars levels are not helping me.

Sounds wired, but it looks my body can see difference even if I delay my meal only one hour.

I am new to diabetes...been diagnosed with type 1 last January. It came as a big shock to me ;( I do not smoke, always been on healthy diet. My BMI is perfect, never been down with flu or serious colds, etc, etc. So not sure what cause myself becoming diabetic ;((((

I thought I will ask my employer to agree for me to stick to 8:30-4:30 shift as it works the best for me and it would be beneficial to them as well as I am not getting any hypos and my sugars are perfect. Not sure what is causing it. My Diabetic Centre told me that each person is different and reacting different to insulin and in my case it may be an explanation why 0.5 does make such a big difference.

I am bit scared that as I have raised it with my manager it may put me into trouble. Then I thought is shouldn't as if they let one of us to work set hours due to bus issue they should understand my situation as well, especially that is health related. I am not sure how much they know about diabetes and issues it causing with my day to day life and how hard is to live with it (sometimes).

My meeting is tomorrow....so I will keep you posted with outcome.