Advice needed please..

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I was diagnosed at 11years. 32 now. My diabetic team didn't come into school nor was it offered. I am sure they would have though if we had requested it. Mum met with the school though and gave them all the info that the nurses had given us they spoke about what I needed etc. i had fantastic care as a child the diabetic nurses were always at the end of the phone.
Similar thing happened with me in regard to school.

Anja5675

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, my son is 11, diagnosed at 4. The nurse came into primary school and also high school to have a chat. You also need to get a care plan done that explains what to do in case of high/low sugars.
Good luck.

KirstyN76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My 8 year old daughter was diagnosed Type 1 on 22nd Dec. the diabetic team were in the school first day back after the holidays and staff training begins tomorrow... We have had amazing support so far

Nutty72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks everyone, saw the dietician today, she isn't sure if the team would visit the school!! Apparently they do ring all schools in September...... No much good if you are diagnosed after that!
Will await a response from the team!.

Cathn61may

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people who think they know it all
My Mum wrote a letter to the Primary and High school. So The teachers new what to expect. I was the only pupil with Type 1 Diabetes. Not many people had Type 1 49 years ago. Diagnosed at 6.

Nutty72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Have decided to jump ship after too many grey areas. have referral for a different hospital, not getting the support from KGH, onward and upwards!