Advice please

sallyj123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
my levels have at 9.4/9.8 for 4 days I have not been eating anything I shouldn't, but I don't feel very well and feel very shaky,
I am under a huge amount of stress in my job at the moment, which I am trying to sort out but not very successfully as my line manager just keeps turning a blind eye.

Is it the stress causing the problem? should I be concerned about my levels?

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning Sally,

Which type of diabetes do you have?

Stress can have an effect on blood sugars yes. I'm type 1 and find that I need more insulin at stressful times than I do otherwise.

Could you be coming down with something? That can also cause your levels to rise.

When I feel shaky but aren't hypo I find that increasing my fluid intake helps a lot.

All the best.
Claire x

Reactions: 2 people

sallyj123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am T2, I could be coming down with something as I really feel out of sorts, I am drinking loads I always do, but just cant get myself up and running properly

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It could be that then, a mixture of stress and illness.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about type 2 diabetes so I can't advise you on how to gain control back.
Hopefully somebody shall be along soon.

I hope you start feeling better :)
Claire x

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @sallyj123 I'm sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well, and are stressed at work too. Both stress and infection/oncoming illness could be raising your bs levels.
If your line manager is unhelpful is there a HR department you could talk to? And if you are in a union they might be able to help too.

Reactions: 2 people

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
First of your blood glucose is high but not enormously high. You are noobie so what diet are you following ? if it is the standard health service healthy plate diet most T2s here on the forum have abandoned it as it contains much more carbohydrate than our damaged systems can deal with.

Last edited by a moderator:

sallyj123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
my BG was down to 7.4 this morning. I slept for 12 hours yesterday, went to lie down at 6 yesterday and woke up this morning at 6am. I am following a low carb diet, but have not yet successfully got my sugars down, but like I said I have a lot of stress at work, I feel like that is a lot to blame. If I could afford to not work I would give up this job in heartbeat. just getting ready to go in now and already feel anxious and shaky.

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Time to look for another job hun.
I might be young but I've been in your situation before and ended up walking out and quitting because it all got too much for me (this was before I had a mortgage to pay!) because it was making me ill.
Work isn't the be all and end all, sometimes it's better to have a less paid job that makes you happy than one that earns plenty but makes you sick and miserable.
I hope your day isn't as bad as you think it'll be.

Best wishes xx

Reactions: 4 people
S

Sable_Jan

Hi, been hearing of many others who have been completely wiped out of late, seems some sort of sleeping/lethargy bug.
Stress definitely doesn't help bs levels one bit.
If you've only recently gone low carb there's also what some people call "carb flu" it's like withdrawal symptoms if you drastically and quickly drop the amount. Shakes, tiredness... Your numbers aren't drastically high and could be your liver over-compensating for drastic drop in carbs.
Know there's a lot of variables ...but keep on in there. Empathise with the job stress. I was lucky, chose redundancy when it was offered and never looked back...I have fibromyalgia so any stress really b#ggers up my system
Big hugs

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. A sugar level below 10 if 2 hours after a meal should not cause any problems at all in the short term but should be a bit lower to avoid longer-term damage. It's unlikely that your diabetes itself is causing you to feel unwell but stress can always be a problem. Do keep checking your sugar levels 2 hours after typical meals and obviously see the GP if the problem continues.

Reactions: 3 people

sallyj123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I finished work yesterday after a 12 hour shift, I was anxious all day, BG in the 9s, I then find out that person who has been causing me a lot of stress is off for 3 weeks as from today! my BG 5.6! isn't it crazy that stress can affect you so much. I feel so much better today.

Reactions: 7 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I finished work yesterday after a 12 hour shift, I was anxious all day, BG in the 9s, I then find out that person who has been causing me a lot of stress is off for 3 weeks as from today! my BG 5.6! isn't it crazy that stress can affect you so much. I feel so much better today.

There you go, all you have to do is figure out how to get that person sacked, in the most despicable way you can imagine. ;)

Reactions: 3 people