Alternatives to Libre 2

Thomas Cahill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It turns out that my particular phone does not work with the Abbott Libre 2. I need a separate reader to get data.

I would very much prefer to have one that works with an iPhone SE, another company. I got the Libre 2 because the NHS uses it so it might be easier to get advice and share data.

So any suggestions for alternatives would be appreciated.

Tonto73

I’ve worked with regulated medical devices for 30 years. The list of supported Android phone is usually curtailed as they need testing for every new software (OS) release. Android device firmware varies considerably so device manufacturers only approve the currently most popular as testing takes time (£ ¥$€}. It’s possible it works it’s just not on the approved list. (Not a phone currently used by many).

It’s worth testing yourself, it may work perfectly it’s just not tested by Abbott.

You’ll have the same issue with all technologies.

Apple is easy as their is only one version of iOS and one manufacturer Android has lots of manufacturers using the OS with lots of device specific software / firmware.

Just try it. It may work perfectly. If it doesn’t it’s likely an older or unpopular handset and not commercially viable to develop for.

Thomas Cahill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your reply. I did try with my phone. No go. And after a long detailed effort, the Abbot help guy said that he had to try everything, but he knew it didn’t work. I got the reader and it works easily. I am learning LOADS about my diet in my body.

But I am still interested in a monitor that works with my phone.

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
As you are on insulin you qualify for a Dexcom CGM. Have you looked at their compatibility list?

iPhone SE is on the list - I think that is what you have?

Last edited: