Am I diabetic?

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Go see a doctor and have a HBA1C test done, they would be able to advise best.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Newbie, started testing blood recently, and most morning's my blood level is above 8.
No-one here can make a diagnosis; for one thing we're not qualified, for another, it's quite against forum rules. That said, you are high for fasting numbers, and I do believe you would be doing the right thing going to your doctor and asking for a fasting blood test, HbA1c, liver- and kidney function tests, cholesterol and bloodpressure. Go for the works, because if any sort of diabetes is found (and there's more than "just" 1 and 2), they'll all be done anyway to determine if there's metabolic syndrome as well. (With T2's, it usually is the case). Might as well get it all over with!

Please, do make the call. Your numbers are slightly elevated, so you wouldn't be crying wolf or anything. It's merited.
Good luck, and let us know how it pans out! (We can offer proper help if you have numbers for us to work with!)
Jo

Reactions: Prem51

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @CyberScouser ,

Welcome to the forum.

As other have said, get thee to thy GP...

It's not always clear or a good idea to try a self diagnosis from a few random tests with a personal meter.

Good luck!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you tell us why you started testing your blood in the first place?

As the others have said, no-one here can diagnose you. That is your GP's job. You need to book an appointment. Do come back when you have your results, whatever they may be.

CyberScouser

Can you tell us why you started testing your blood in the first place?

As the others have said, no-one here can diagnose you. That is your GP's job. You need to book an appointment. Do come back when you have your results, whatever they may be.
I suppose all the signs were there for awhile but didn't address them. I'm 52 and what you would call obese. But recently been getting leg pain and numbness and burning pain on outside thigh. So Dr google seemed to say diabetes, so got a blood monitor, and the rest is history.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you got a doctors appointment yet? If not, why?

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dunno fear of unknown and consequences I guess.

It is nothing to fear. It has been the kick up the bum we needed for many of us on this forum. Also, not going to your doctor won't make your problems go away! You are what you are ... diabetic or not diabetic. If you do get a Type 2 diagnosis you will be put on the care pathway and receive regular blood tests for all sorts of things, foot checks, retinal eye screening, medication if necessary,.

Reactions: pjayem1964

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dunno fear of unknown and consequences I guess.
I get the whole "ignorance is bliss" philosophy at work here. But you're already in pain. And if this is a T2 complication, you can make that pain go away with treatment and diet, for one thing. For another, if this is a diabetic complication, there's liable to be more damage than this, elsewhere. Eyes, kidneys, liver... Stuff that could influence your quality of life as well as the length of it. Diabetes does NOT mean you have a progressive disease that will kill you, PROVIDED you take action NOW. You still have time. So use it! You can reverse this. The pain, other complications, but it does mean you have to pull your pants up and do something about it. If you stick your head in the sand now, you'll kick yourself for it later. Knowledge is power; you know something fishy's going on with your bloodsugars, so you now have the power to do something about it. Go see your doc, discuss the pain you're having, and you could well be helped with meds for neuropathy. Start a low carb, high fat diet and push those glucoselevels back down to where they should be. Save your own neck. Go on then.