... and yet another one!

Jock

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone!

I have been diagnosed diabetic for over four years now. I worked off-shore and I went for a medical and that was it - no more off-shore work. Fortunately I managed to get a job on the beach instead.

It was a bit of a trauma at first - finding out I was diabetic and losing my job into the bargain, however looking back it was the best thing that could have happened ... well, perhaps not the best, but I'd been so tired for years I could hardly function. Once I was put on Metformin, I began to feel much better and although the amount has increased over the years, I still feel better now than I did four or more yeas ago.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Jock and welcome to the forum.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi Jock
welcome
have you looked at the various diet ideas on here too?

Jock

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hanadr said:
have you looked at the various diet ideas on here too?

I haven't as yet. Actually, I'm very lucky as I have a great wife who is also a great cook and likes to cook too, so she looks after my diet. Unfortunately, despite what I eat, my Metformin dosage is gradually increasing.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Jock.

You don't say what your typical daily diet consists of ? The reason I ask is that you say despite your diet your Metformin is increasing ? Now it may be increasing because of your diet ?
Unfortunately what some people consider a 'healthy' diet can sometimes be unsuitable for a Diabetic ?

Ken.

Jock

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, I begin the day with half a grapefruit, cereal and fruit juice. Once I get to work, I have some fruit during the morning and numerous cups of black coffee.

As we don't have any food facilities within several miles of my work, I have to make do with sandwitches (two slices of bread - we make our own so we know what's in it!) and from lunch time, I just graze throughout the afternoon - normally fruit but if I'm really hungry, I'll have a few oatcakes.

My evening meal varies - 40% of the time it's a rice based dish, 30% potato and 30% pasta - usually with loads of vegetables.

That's it - sometimes a couple of oatcakes and cheese in the evening, but not often. I tend to stay away from anything with high sugar content, not only because of the diabetes, but for years I've found sugar really does make me ill - even before I was diagnosed diabetic.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Jock,

Thanks for letting us know the sort of things you typically eat. As Ken said, what appears to be a "healthy" diet to a non-diabetic can sometimes be the worst possible diet for a diabetic. The thing to be aware of as a diabetic is how much carbohydrate there is in your diet, and in particular how much food is starchy carbs (cereals, bread, rice, potatoes and pasta).

Jock said:
Well, I begin the day with half a grapefruit, cereal and fruit juice. Once I get to work, I have some fruit during the morning and numerous cups of black coffee.
Gparefruit is fine, not too high in carbs. Nearly all breakfast cereals are extremely high in carbs and will send your blood sugar rocketing. The same goes for fruit juice. Many diabetics will only have fruit juice to treat a hypo! Black coffee - no problem. In total that's a pretty high carb breakfast. How about something egg based (poached, fried, boiled, scrambled, omelette) with bacon or ham, tomatoes, mushrooms, etc.

As we don't have any food facilities within several miles of my work, I have to make do with sandwitches (two slices of bread - we make our own so we know what's in it!) and from lunch time, I just graze throughout the afternoon - normally fruit but if I'm really hungry, I'll have a few oatcakes.
Presumably your bread is made with wheat flour - which makes it high in carbs whether you bake it or someone else does. A couple of slices won't have a major impact on your BS, but will probably not leave you feeling full for very long, hence the need to snack on oatcakes or fruit. How about taking a chicken or ham or cheese salad in a plastic container. Oatcakes are ok in very small amounts (e.g. one oatcake once a day). Some fruits contain a lot of sugar, apples and bananas for example - an average sized apple has 17.5g carbs and a banana 20g of carbs, when you really shouldn't be having any individual item that contains more than around 10g of carbs. There are much lower carb fruits such as apricots, peaches, pears, plums, oranges, nectarines and nearly all berry fruits.

My evening meal varies - 40% of the time it's a rice based dish, 30% potato and 30% pasta - usually with loads of vegetables.
The fact that you have specifically mentioned rice potato and pasta shows that you are already aware of the effect they have on your blood sugar, so you know that you need to reduce the quantity on your plate. The other vegetables are fine. Green veg in particular are an excellent source of dietary carbs but also they contain vitamins and minerals which makes them a far better food source than starches.

Your evening snack of an oatcake and cheese is ok, provided there is much more cheese than oatcake! Can I suggest that you get hold of a copy of the Collins Gem Carb Counter book. It is pocket size so can easily be taken shopping and will give you an idea of exactly how much carb there is in all the foods you eat. You can get it from most bookshops for £3.99 or a bit less from Amazon.

wallycorker

Hi Jock,

Some great advice there from Dennis.

Just watch the carbohydrate especially at breakfast but at other meals too make certain that you don't eat too much of it.

I've gained improvements from changing to foods such as brown rice, pulse spaghetti and spelt pasta also.

The fact that your GP seems to be gradually increasing your dosages of metformin is not a good sign - it is exactly that that made me sit up and smell the coffee.

In my opinion, diet is the most powerful tool that you have to work with.

Best Wishes - John