Arm Pain

PaulN

I was diagnossed withT2 about 18 months ago. I take Metformin, Rosovestatin, and Actos. About December I started getting an ache in my upper left arm. Over time it has been getting worse. It's muscular rather than the joint. My GP has prescribed anti-inflamatories but they don't help. Could this be a result of my medication or T2?

flyingbanana

Hi PaulN
what can I say other than "snap"..only mine is my upper right arm...it's as though your arm has been bent back against itself....if I am walking through woodland and grab a tree to swing around on it hurts like hell....I'm sure Ive read somewhere on this forum that it is a possible side effect of metformin but intend to ask my nurse about it when I visit her next month..maybe somebody on the forum may enlighten us...don't do any arm wrestling!
cheers neil

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Hi guys,

I'm diet only and I have experienced pains in my left arm, both pre and post T2 diagnosis.

I'm pretty sure mine is neuropathy (as I also experience pains in my hands and legs/feet too) so I would hazzard a guess this is what you have too.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
PaulN said:
I was diagnossed withT2 about 18 months ago. I take Metformin, Rosovestatin, and Actos. About December I started getting an ache in my upper left arm. Over time it has been getting worse. It's muscular rather than the joint. My GP has prescribed anti-inflamatories but they don't help. Could this be a result of my medication or T2?

PaulN.
Whatever the cause is you need to get a second opinion if your GP is unable to do anything for you. There are many causes of pain such as you mention, not all of them may be realated to either medication or Diabetes.

Discuss again with your GP or another one in the Practice, maybe get a referral if needed.

Ken

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Ask specifically about statins - many of us have had serious muscle pains that had been relieved by stopping taking statins. In my case I read of the possible problem, stopped taking it for a few days & the pains stopped in about a week. I then checked with my Dr, who agreed with me stopping.

What are your cholesterol levels? Do you need it, or is it precautionary. Check with your Dr.

mazbee

I was diagnosed type 2 December 2009. November 2008 I experienced a frozen shoulder on my left side.
I was off work for 3 months, attending physiotherapist appointments and trying different pain killers.
I was classed as pre-diabetic at that time. Eventually I had a steroid injection in this shoulder, and within 2 weeks finally was able to move and use my arm again.
I still have tinges from my left shoulder that go up my neck and to the back of my head.

A couple of months before it was confirmed that I was now a type 2 diabetic, my right arm and shoulder started to hurt and ache. There is a definite twanging noise in my upper arm every now and then, which gives off a lot of pain.

I have mentioned this to the doctors I have seen at my practice on my last 6 visits, but because I can still use my arm (I still do the exercises given to me by the physiotherapist) they just supply me with more pain killers.
:roll: :(

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
Agree with IanD---ask specifically about statins. Took one for quite a few months and I got the arm muscle pain thing plus pins and needles in my little fingers 24/7. So irritating. Mentioned the pain to Dr thinking it might be neuropathy and not knowing anything about a possible connection to statins, then.
Dr thought carpal tunnel syndrome and sent me off for nerve conduction tests. Around that time I stopped taking statins. Pains and horrible ache cleared up.
Ordered to take statins again by Endo. Reluctantly did for 20 days but began reading of all the "rare" side effects people reported! Pins and needles had started up. Stopped the statins. That was 10 months ago. Pain gone.
Cholesterol needs no medications thanks to my low carbing.