Auto corrections

mixed grill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Guardian 4 clossec loop.
I was was amazed to learn to learn that this has its limits and stops as a so called safety feature when my blood sugars went sky high during the night and the auto corrections had stopped. Rang support line at 3am and support person at medtronic I think was Spanish didn't have a glue. Waited till the Monday and informed about a percentage used it shuts off. Then you have to bolus to keep b/s in range that can take upto 24 hrs.
Another issue are the plasters if that's the correct term supplied either guardian 4 in that not water proof and any water that's gets in it will leave you with really bad soes that look like burn marks that don't heL fast especially when your type 1 diabetic. Eventually found an aftermarket purchase on amazon after buying lots of different coverings. Tegaderm film 10x12 cm works for me as the specific ones to cover the sensor aren't big enough and once water gets in it reduces the time the sensor works for and burns your skin.
Apart from the above it is a good sensor like other people have said it doesn't give you a heart attack when it alarms unlike libre.
I hope this helps

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @mixed grill and welcome to the forums.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. There are quite a few threads about medtronic and the G4 , eg this one

It sounds to me that you get on better with the G4 than the people posting on that thread?

I recently got the choice of medtronic or tandem from my clinic and went for the tandem because of the sensors, though I liked the sound of the medtrnic algorithm.
I guess all pumps, and closed loop systems, have their pros and cons?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @mixed grill

Sorry to hear this, am not familiar with this system myself - however do you use an insulin pen to correct ?

I keep backups in my fridge for pump failures, so basal and quick acting insulin so can sort myself if things are going pear shaped.

Reactions: EllieM

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Guardian 4 clossec loop.
I was was amazed to learn to learn that this has its limits and stops as a so called safety feature when my blood sugars went sky high during the night and the auto corrections had stopped. Rang support line at 3am and support person at medtronic I think was Spanish didn't have a glue. Waited till the Monday and informed about a percentage used it shuts off. Then you have to bolus to keep b/s in range that can take upto 24 hrs.
Another issue are the plasters if that's the correct term supplied either guardian 4 in that not water proof and any water that's gets in it will leave you with really bad soes that look like burn marks that don't heL fast especially when your type 1 diabetic. Eventually found an aftermarket purchase on amazon after buying lots of different coverings. Tegaderm film 10x12 cm works for me as the specific ones to cover the sensor aren't big enough and once water gets in it reduces the time the sensor works for and burns your skin.
Apart from the above it is a good sensor like other people have said it doesn't give you a heart attack when it alarms unlike libre.
I hope this helps
How are things going? I just started with my 780g. I haven’t entered Smart Guard mode yet. I do recall in the setup in my CDE’s office, we sat a max basal amount. That means the pump will not give you more than that preset amount of insulin. I’m not sure if that applies to Smart Guard, but I think so. I’d inquire about adjusting it with your pump trainer or doctor.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Hi @mixed grill and welcome to the forums.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. There are quite a few threads about medtronic and the G4 , eg this one

It sounds to me that you get on better with the G4 than the people posting on that thread?

I recently got the choice of medtronic or tandem from my clinic and went for the tandem because of the sensors, though I liked the sound of the medtrnic algorithm.
I guess all pumps, and closed loop systems, have their pros and cons?

I'm considering moving from tandem to medtronic.. Especially if there is a chance of the simplera sensor being integrated soon