Baked coconut custard

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
MCT = medium chain triglycerides. Body likes these as an easily digestible / convertible fat source that doesn’t require full digestion (cf long chains like olive and nut oils). Can be converted quickly to ketones and thus a source of energy for brain. Demonstrated as helping stabilise BG and improving insulin resistance. Helping body learn to burn fat over carbs. Other benefits possibly antimicrobial and anti inflammatory. A few pple do find it adds weight more quickly; those with bigger issues in heart and liver fat storage. A key thing to ask is - what’s the source? Usually coconut oil (good) and/or dairy; but often palm oil (‘bad’). There really isn’t any truly environmentally friendly palm oil source despite marketing claims (market is distorted by developing economies ripping out native tropical forest to plant palm oil (often the Amazon) as well as disenfranchising indigenous peoples from their lands. When it’s grown in a rich western country - the successful intensive farming methods outcompete those in developing countries (which leads to further price distortion). It’s rare to know the origin of most palm oil. Often it is sourced and amassed at wholesale level - and on sold. It can be quite a processed thing (or not). Choose coconut (relatively unprocessed) origin if you can. You will do yourself a favour (coconut oil has more and varied of these MCTs); and help the environment (broadly). It will be more expensive; but if we can reduce interest in palm oil it won’t be worth it to rip up native tropical forest so often. I try to boycott palm oil products (where possible). Most of eg Tesco’s bakery goods are palm oil based. A change they made some years back that was price motivated. I hope I am informing - not preaching (too much!). We can’t all make perfect choices all the time (including me) but understanding is important.

IMG_1698586480.054607.jpg
this is a brand I’ve found. It’s not THAT expensive. I use a couple of cap full’s per day and it lasts around a month . I’m sure other brands are available:)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did try this today. Added 3 heaped teaspoons cocoa powder and mixed well before baking.
I split it across 6 ramekins
Served it cold with extra double cream and chopped hazelnuts. Visitors and family ate it but I wasn't so fond of it (I'm not a great coconut fan)
Next time I'll try the original recipe and serve it warm.
Certainly easy

Reactions: OrsonKartt

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I did try this today. Added 3 heaped teaspoons cocoa powder and mixed well before baking.
I split it across 6 ramekins
Served it cold with extra double cream and chopped hazelnuts. Visitors and family ate it but I wasn't so fond of it (I'm not a great coconut fan)
Next time I'll try the original recipe and serve it warm.
Certainly easy

If I want to add anything I’ll add 2or 3 blueberries. I keep frozen in the freezer. It only takes 1 or 2 to really add a new flavour

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
can i add some almonds and dried nuts in it?

I’ve just taken to adding some frozen berry’s. When it’s fresh out the oven. I think almost anything could be added at this stage just press it in to the hot , cooked mix and let it cool. Tell us how it works out