Type 1 Best travel insurance for visiting America for a week?

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi there.

Last time I went to the states was 2010 pre-diagnosis. I got my letter posted today from my diabetes nurse for carrying stuff on the plane.

I am going to Chicago for a week in April/May.

What do you type 1s recommend just incase something happens and I need to get medical treatment there? Unlikely, but I am worried about it as America is extortionate medical costs.

Reactions: Antje77

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I usually use AllClear for my travel insurance and make sure it includes USA. AlClear is one of the more expensive but one of the few that includes pre-existing conditions such as diabetes.
As a frequent traveller I have annual insurance rather than insurance for each trip.
Touch wood, I have never needed to call upon my insurance for anything medical but I would never travel without it.
And, as always recommended, I make sure I take at least twice as much of everything than I think I may need.

• Informative
Reactions: Paul41 and Antje77

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
I usually use AllClear for my travel insurance and make sure it includes USA. AlClear is one of the more expensive but one of the few that includes pre-existing conditions such as diabetes.
As a frequent traveller I have annual insurance rather than insurance for each trip.
Touch wood, I have never needed to call upon my insurance for anything medical but I would never travel without it.
And, as always recommended, I make sure I take at least twice as much of everything than I think I may need.
ooh thank you I will look into that!

I haven't flown in a long time and am hoping to do my trip with cabin bag only - do they let you have a small handbag for insulin etc as well as a cabin bag?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
ooh thank you I will look into that!

I haven't flown in a long time and am hoping to do my trip with cabin bag only - do they let you have a small handbag for insulin etc as well as a cabin bag?
I think it depends upon the airline and the seat you have booked.
I rarely check in any luggage but also avoid travelling with multiple bags because I find it a pain to navigate to, from and around the airport.
Asa frequent traveller, I am pretty adept at not overfilling my bag with unnecessary stuff. For example, I can do a 3 night work trip with a single backpack which can be placed under the seat on the flight. I find a wheelie is large enough for a week including work and diabetes stuff.
Shoes take up the most space and given a choice between a second (or third) pair of shoes or one less bag, the shoes will loose every time.

Reactions: Omar51 and EllieM