Blood from a stone

carandol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I got a letter today from my GP's surgery, asking me to go in for my six monthly blood test. I pointed out that I'd had a test at the hospital in January and I was due another one there in May. Did I really need another one? There was a consultation at the other end. Yes, it would be better, I was told - it's not always easy for them to get test results from the hospital.

There's something wrong with the system when it's easier for them to get blood of of me than it is to get test results from the hospital!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Re: Blood from a stone

I don't think this is too uncommon, unfortunately.
My hospital is in North Manchester and my GP is n Lancashire about 12 mls away but the health record systems will not talk to each other! My GP only sees what my consultant puts in his letter, and for the consultant to see a blood test, I need to get the results from the GP and physically take them in a letter to the consultant.
Upside is that I get all my BG results to anayse :lol:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

carandol said:
There's something wrong with the system when it's easier for them to get blood of of me than it is to get test results from the hospital!

Easy way round this is to ask the hospital clinic to send copies of your test results to your gp surgery, unless there was something wrong with your last results having 3 lots of test in 5 months does seem a bit OTT.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods

Noblehead, it doesn't work like that! As I said the only way is via consultant/letter such is the F*cked up state of the NHS :crazy:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

No I beg to differ Fergus, attending any hospital clinic you can ask them to send copies of your results to your gp surgery, as I say I get my diabetes results sent and when I was receiving treatment in the Ophthalmology clinic they also sent copies too, as I say you do have to ask them first!

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

As far as I am aware the notes from every consultation at a hospital or hospital clinic are forwarded to your GP this is how your GP knows what medication to prescribe as per your consultants instructions.

There can be delays due to overworked, understaffed secretaries or typing services being sent offshore (India) but everything that happens to you at any hospital or clinic is definitely sent to your GP, no ifs and no buts.

Could it be in this case that your GP wants the QOF cash for having a diabetic on his books even though your care is under a hospital clinic?

Charging the NHS twice for the same patient care should not be allowed IMHO.

carandol

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I suspect it's just inefficiency. The consultant is supposed to have sent the last test results to my GP, but they haven't had them, the consultant's medical secretary hasn't got back to me when I've left her a message, the diabetes nurse at the hospital has seen my results but doesn't understand one of the tests...

The really annoying thing is that I live in between the hospital and the surgery - they're a two minute walk on either side of my house. I could invite the doctor and the consultant round and we could look at the results over a cup of tea - but that just wouldn't be the done thing. :smile:

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump

Sorry to post this but the subject made me chuckle. As our surname is Stone, it is a saying that we have used when my son James cannot get blood from his finger when testing. "it's like trying to get blood out of a stone"

SORRY :lol:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

Does anybody know why... After I have moved to this sugery, all my records prior have gone? Lieterslly they know nothing of my previous tecords at all. I tegitered here last Sept?
Sorry to change the question...

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice

i think the GP surgeries get paid for the amount of diabetic reviews they do - I am currently pregnant (under care of the hospital) and got asked to go to my GP diabetes review. I pointed out that there was absolutely no point as by the time I'm back under the care of my GP in six months time I will have delivered, so my condition will have changed, but still got told I should come in (which I refused to) It really is all about the £££

kentish maid

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who tell me I don't need to test my blood

my moan is with my diabetic clinic to get my results from my nurse is like getting blood from a stone I have to ask for each one she is so reluctant to give them to me even though I have explained to her that I need to know them to see if I am keeping my blood sugar down.