Breakfast ideas?

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Google grain free granola recipies online.
I make a batch with just a tiny bit of sweetener. Lasts ages in the fridge. Serve with a splash of whatever milk substitute suits you best. Need only a tiny portion as very high in calories.

Sully24

I was pre diabetic, but I think my numbers may risen above 48. I’m due for annual check next month. I love cereal in the morning, Shredded Wheat, Weetabix, especially, but found I was spiking, later on. I now have porridge with Alpro no sugar, and blueberries and that seems to work.

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat a small, and I do mean small, bowl of unsweetened cornflakes an hour later I am spiking 16 +. Running out of sensible ideas to eat something now. I can only stand for around five minutes so cooking is out.

A microwave can be very useful.

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Hi,
I am gluten and lactose intolerant.

We have overnight gf oats. That was spiking my readings.

Now have cider vinegar with the mother in a tonic after and that reduces spikes.

Wondering if any other ideas for breakfast though as can’t do most cereals or breads.

I prefer to be vegan too but have found that nearly impossible recently due to my blood sugars going high after ICU visit due to anaphylaxis so now eating some fish and chicken.

Any ideas welcomed as could only think of egg omelette ‍♀️
If you want to eat bread, you could make your own… a bit of a faff, but I think this would meet your dietary needs and I quite like it (more for lunch) https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/the-keto-bread

My go-to breakfast is a “porridge” made with chia and linseeds (I grind them in a batch), add cinnamon, cocoa (if you can tolerate), dessicated coconut and add hot water so it all dissolves immediately, stir in some frozen berries and top with Greek yoghurt (so you’ll have to omit or substitute a non-dairy version) and a mix of whatever mix of nuts and seeds I have to hand.

Edit: sorry, didn’t realise others (on 1st page) had suggested “seedy porridge”, but shows how popular it is.

FYI original recipe, which I’ve adapted, is at: https://diatribe.org/three-minute-diabetes-breakfast-changes-lives

Last edited:

Grahamcoad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
KIPPERS! Once a traditional British breakfast, displaced by the fads for sweet and high carb breakfast cereals. Oldies like me might remember the "Go to work on an egg"TV adverts, eggs are still 'eggcellent' for breakfast. Try scrambled eggs (quick to cook) with inexpensive smoked salmon trimmings.
If you MUST have cereal, look at the new "Surreal Cereal" high protein, sugar free, low carb, in a variety of flavours, available online.

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
@Grahamcoad scrambled egg suggestion was basically my lunch today, but I do occasionally have this for breakfast as it’s quick and tasty. Nothing as grand as smoked salmon: I simply fry some onion with any “odds and ends” from the fridge for a few minutes and then break the eggs straight into the pan; stirring until scrambled. I’ll add seasoning and any herbs to hand (fresh chives today, but any dried will help).

P.s. if you can’t eat cheese, I can recommend Nutritional Yeast (such as Enegivta sold in Asda) for flavour and B vitamins.

Reactions: Antje77

Horlicks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Forums asking for a load of personal information including dislikes.
Depends how much of it you eat. One slice might be okay, two slices might be too much. If it's a sugar spike (within, say, half an hour of eating) that you are seeing it might also be the tomatoes. Warburtons do a "no added sugar" wholemeal loaf that you could perhaps try to see if that makes any difference. I get mine from the local Tesco's. It tastes fairly bland, though, and tends to crumble when toasted so it's not exactly enjoyable, but it's something to put liberal amounts of spread and peanut butter on.
Does anyone eat bread or toast for breakfast?
I eat toast, 1 poached egg and 4 cherry tomatoes for breakfast with a cup of coffee. Sometimes I spike and sometimes I don’t. Is bread/toast the problem?
Since giving up cereals topped with a spoonful or two with sugar many years ago I switched to 1 wholemeal toast with an egg, fried in olive oil and 1 slice with Sainsburys reduced sugar marmalade. Recently I gave up spreads made with seed oils (i.e. margarine) and now only use grass fed Kerrygold butter.

elbarto

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I eat a small, and I do mean small, bowl of unsweetened cornflakes an hour later I am spiking 16 +. Running out of sensible ideas to eat something now. I can only stand for around five minutes so cooking is out.
My son is T1D and we had to remove cereals from the breakfast because he was spiking over 16 every time. The breakfast is tricky because of the morning hormones. We had to increase his insulin/carbs ratio by 2.5 for breakfast and still a couple of slices of semi-whole wheat bread and 70g of apple before going to school makes his sugar to go about 12 and sometimes even more. The sugar goes down just after the morning break at school when he is running and playing.

BSenaR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't know if it will work for you but I changed from having Cornflakes to Multigrain Cheerios. Early signs are that I'm not having the high spikes mid morning. I am T2 on Insulin

Andy_Nash

Does anyone eat bread or toast for breakfast?
I eat toast, 1 poached egg and 4 cherry tomatoes for breakfast with a cup of coffee. Sometimes I spike and sometimes I don’t. Is bread/toast the problem?
I'm a Type 1 diabetic so things may different. However, I also find that a similar breakfast can lead to different blood sugars on subsequent days. If my sugars are high overnight, even a small breakfast is liable to cause a spike (unless I also increase my insulin, or take exercise). However, if my sugars are low overnight the same breakfast may cause little or no rise (meaning I can be going low again quite quickly, unless I eat more). I don't know the full science behind this but it's clear that the ratio between insulin need and cabohydrate is substantially affected by blood sugar in the preceding period.

Reactions: Cat14

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
Hi,

Now have cider vinegar with the mother in a tonic after and that reduces spikes.

Wondering if any other ideas for breakfast though as can’t do most cereals or breads.

I prefer to be vegan too but have found that nearly impossible recently due to my blood sugars going high after ICU visit due to anaphylaxis so now eating some fish and chicken.

Egg on glut free toast. Glut free cornflakes, with a chopped up apple. I been type1 for 58yrs and celiac for 2. Glut free sausages are nicer than normal on glut free bread. I always weigh my food for carbs.

David Paul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Hi there,

Omelettes are great for blood glucose control; depending on individual preference & taste, a variety of herbs are good to “liven up the omelette”: are you able to tolerate cheese? If so, cheese omelettes are a good idea as well as using mushrooms & onions.
I am an oatmeal fanatic & I have a slice of toast with a range of my favourite cheeses. Eating some protein &/or fat based meals before the oats will help you considerably as it will slow down the uptake of the carbohydrates into your blood-stream.
Being lactose intolerant will make things quite restrictive for you: there is only so much fish & chicken one can eat before one becomes “scunnered”! One final word of caution regarding eggs; I did the Atkins low carbohydrate diet plan several years ago: ended up developing a severe intolerance to eggs! Have only recently been able to reintroduce eggs back into my meal plans!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Egg on glut free toast. Glut free cornflakes, with a chopped up apple. I been type1 for 58yrs and celiac for 2. Glut free sausages are nicer than normal on glut free bread. I always weigh my food for carbs.
As a T1, you can take insulin for toast, cornflakes and apples.
The person you replied to has T2, on no medication and depending on diet to keep their BG down, so I expect those foods would cause high BG.

• Agree
Reactions: lovinglife

Peanut234

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
eggs/omlette with whatever veg left over from the night before. I try and keep some basil pesto or balsamic, or smoked salmon and cream cheese or some frozen capsicum around for days when the usual is too blah. sometimes ham too.
A cooked tomato on the side is good too.
A cafe I used to go to used to make a crepe( flourless) that was amazing.
it had raw cabbage, lettuce, sprouts, and smoked salmon and creme cheese rolled up. Yum
You could do this with tofu in it.

With a bit of searching you might be able to find soy yoghurt, coconut yoghurt and vegan creme cheese.

crepe: just add a bit of water in when you beat your eggs

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
eggs/omlette with whatever veg left over from the night before. I try and keep some basil pesto or balsamic, or smoked salmon and cream cheese or some frozen capsicum around for days when the usual is too blah. sometimes ham too.
A cooked tomato on the side is good too.
A cafe I used to go to used to make a crepe( flourless) that was amazing.
it had raw cabbage, lettuce, sprouts, and smoked salmon and creme cheese rolled up. Yum
You could do this with tofu in it.

With a bit of searching you might be able to find soy yoghurt, coconut yoghurt and vegan creme cheese.

crepe: just add a bit of water in when you beat your eggs
This morning I will have, a thickly slice of white bread, fried both sides in a pan using olive oil and probably with a freshly laid egg from our own chickens in the pan also. Olive oil is nice like this. Done so it is bit crispy.