Breakfast

AJack123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi ladies I'm type two just started my insulin routine I'm 5 weeks pregnant and I'm struggling to find a decent low carb breakfast that will keep will keep me full but not make me spike to much any ideas would be helpful it seems to be my worse meal X

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @AJack123 if there is something you eat for dinner/tea that doesn't spike you and you fancy it for breakfast, eat that, don't think if only being able to have breakfast items if that makes sense. I'm not type 2 I'm type1 but when I want a low carb breakfast I go for an omelette with cheese/mushrooms/bacon - depending on how much time I have to make it. Or full fat Greek yogurt/cream with strawberries/raspberries/blueberries, and a few flaked almonds. Either of these things tends to fill me pretty well, although at 37 weeks pregnant now nothing fills me no more haha xx

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry just realised you say you've started insulin, to feel more filled up you could have a small slice of bread with whatever you decide to have, I buy the 'no crusts' kingsmill wholemeal 400g loaf and it's 7.5g of carbs per slice so depending on how it would spike you, you could have a slice or 2, or if you've a lidl near you they do a high protein roll which is really nice (and massive) so really filling X

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi ladies I'm type two just started my insulin routine I'm 5 weeks pregnant and I'm struggling to find a decent low carb breakfast that will keep will keep me full but not make me spike to much any ideas would be helpful it seems to be my worse meal X

I'm Type 1 so I'm not sure if it would be the same for you, but when pregnant I had cereal for breakfast but had to bolus more in advance than normal. For me, bolusing in advance stopped the spike. By the end of pregnancy I was bolusing approx 45 mins in advance.

BUT if you do decide to try this, move your bolus gradually. I moved mine 5 mins at a time and tested lots.

Other breakfasts I ate were croissants, toast and cheese, etc.

You didn't say if you were on a basal/bolus routine, but if you're not then you may have less options.

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hiya @AJack123 im type1 so poss different- I was told porridge was the lowest GI food to stop spikes and like @azure says bolus before meals x