Bulking out slow cooker recipies

MadMat

I love my slow cooker, especially at this time of year, but I'm trying to reduce carbs and looking for lower carb additions / accompaniments - Beef stew is just missing something without dumplings, and sausage casserole really needs a nice dollop of mashed potato . . . .

Any suggestions ?

TIA

Mat

• Agree
Reactions: fumanchu

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A very good sub for dumplings is a keto bread, it’s very easy to make and is a great base for lots of things
You can add sweeteners, 85% cocoa powder , vanilla extract, peanut butter to make it sweet and serve with cream or you can keep it savoury use as a bread or add dried herbs or garlic powder, onion powder. Your only limited by your imagination, I’ve made it sweet and used as a scone with keto jam & cream in the summer.

When I use it for dumplings I add a few dry herbs and add to the casserole at the very end about 2or 3 minutes just to soak up a little bit of the juices - don’t leave it in the casserole too long as they can disintegrate. Thyme dumpling with chicken casserole is delicious

If you haven’t got cup measures 1/3 of cup is about 3 good heaped tablespoons- this works for me

MadMat

Mashed cauliflower sounds absolutely disgusting ;) Mybe I should have mentioned in the original post that I'm really not a fan of cooked green veg . .
The bread thing on the other hand looks worth a try

I was also thinking of maybe adding beans/pulses to the stews, but looking up on nutrition sites they too can be quite "carby"

Mat

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Honestly try the cauliflower mash, I boil mine then roast for about 5 minutes to dry it out, either blend with a stick blender or mash, add butter a dash of cream & tablespoon of cream cheese, it’s delicious and very far from cauliflower tasting. You never know until you try it :)

Paul41

I love my slow cooker, especially at this time of year, but I'm trying to reduce carbs and looking for lower carb additions / accompaniments - Beef stew is just missing something without dumplings, and sausage casserole really needs a nice dollop of mashed potato . . . .

Any suggestions ?

TIA

Mat

You could still eat dumplings as long as you use a flour substitute like almond flour.

I use celeriac in my slow cooker stews.

MadMat

I had a go at making the microwave bread today. Came out ok, I'd say more cake than bread consistency. Made a nice lunch with some skinny food fake "nuttela" spread on it. Had a bit of a bitter aftertaste.

Reactions: lovinglife

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cabbage. Sweeheart or saveloy are both nice. If making a stew - i'll cut the cabbage up in large chunks, and place it on top of the stew 30-45 minutes before it is fully cooked. It steams in place, becomes soft, and somewhat absorbs some of the flavour of the meat below.

Reactions: MrsA2

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a go at making the microwave bread today. Came out ok, I'd say more cake than bread consistency. Made a nice lunch with some skinny food fake "nuttela" spread on it. Had a bit of a bitter aftertaste.
Yes it a bit Cakey , but in my 14 years I’ve never found a bread that is like bread, even the ones on the market now like Low Carb Food Co & Seriously Low Carb though they are very very good and I use them it’s still not quite “bread”. Glad you enjoyed your lunch and had a go at making it :)

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77