Tablets (oral)

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
If you come in non fasting with symptoms there is no reason to not test BG, if it's above 11 it's still diagnostic. I've never been asked to fast from 6PM for a fasting BG.
Hi, I am just quoting from my own experience. If non fasting and levels were borderline it could be a confusing result.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I am just quoting from my own experience. If non fasting and levels were borderline it could be a confusing result.
Yes, but if someone comes in non fasting, a quick test us still useful to rule out immediate danger.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The nurse just checked my blo

The nurse just checked my blood glucose level and it was 6.7, which she said was reassuring - I last ate a small meal 4 hours ago. What are the ranges of blood glucose readings? I'm currently waiting to see a doctor.
That's not a dangerous level at all, so whatever it is you have going on, it isn't a sudden onset T1!

I hope you'll find out quickly what it is making you feel so rubbish!

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Medical measurement is very rarely precise. Medical professionals often forget that readings are generally only said to be 95% “correct” so that does leave 5%.
The important thing is that people are different so their measurement values are different.
It is complex but you can enter your values of HBA1c into the BMJ calculator and see just what the expected variation will be - it is not small! Both test and biological variation must be added.

https://www.bmj.com/content/368/bmj.m149/rapid-responses

Cecs

Hi I just wanted to ask if your doctor look at your thyroid levels in the blood tests. Some hyperthyroidism symptoms can be similar to diabetes so it might be worth having a look.